As any golfer can attest, food — whether eaten on the course or after a round — is almost as important as what happens on the tee.
That’s why organizers of the World Golf Championship-Cadillac Championship, which runs Thursday through Sunday at the Trump National Doral, have lined up some of South Florida’s top food trucks and restaurants to dish out food to tournament spectators and the pros.
“The championship’s food and hospitality elements are a large piece of the tournament,” spokeswoman Jennifer Gillespie said, calling this year’s restaurant participants “a dream culinary collection.”
Food options will certainly be dreamlike to those with visions of Nutella-covered ice pops and fried-avocado tacos in their sleep.
Here’s a look at some of the menu highlights available this weekend:
▪ Half-pound burgers are big enough, but that doesn’t stop Burger & Beer Joint from stacking on extras like brie, prosciutto, applewood-smoked bacon, fried onion rings and sweet onion marmalade. Three burger setups will be offered, including a chicken patty with turkey bacon and barbecue sauce.
▪ Che Grill will sling its signature El Choripan chorizo sandwich and oversize empanadas from its Argentine-style food truck.
▪ BC Tacos will let guests mix and match among its pulled pork, shrimp and beef tacos at three for $16. Make sure to try one with fried avocado topped with mozzarella and chipotle mayo.
▪ HipPOPs Gelato & Yogurt cools things off with its hand-dipped pops coated in pistachios, white chocolate, pretzels, Oreos, Nutella and more. Dairy-free bars and shakes also available.
▪ Trump Resort restaurants will also be hitting fans hard with their fancy wings and spicy tuna. The resort’s restaurants — BLT Prime (tuna tartare; see recipe), Champions Bar & Grill (chicken lollipops) and the Living Room (El Beso cocktail) — will give everybody a chance to wine and dine, indoors or out.
▪ New vendors at the tournament include Sushi Maki, Health Nut On Wheels and Pescados Unidos, while Joe’s Stone Crab and Versailles return to serve staple selections.
If you go
What: World Golf Championship-Cadillac Championship
Where: Trump National Doral, 4400 NW 87th Ave., Doral.
How much: $40-$400.
More info: cadillacchampionship.com.
BLT Prime at Trump National Doral is featuring wines from pro golfers during the tournament. Here’s what’s being poured:
Greg Norman Shark Red & Chardonnay
Ernie Els Proprietor’s Red & Signature Red
Jack Nicklaus Private Reserve White & Private Cabernet Sauvignon
Luke Donald Chardonnay & Red
And, of course, The Donald’s Trump Chardonnay & Meritage will be available.
BLT Prime’s Tuna Tartare
1 tablespoon wasabi powder
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 tablespoons white mirin
2 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons mustard oil
2 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon honey
2 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
Salt and pepper
1 cup finely diced shallots
1/2 ripe avocado
1 teaspoon lime juice
Salt and pepper
1 cup finely diced sushi grade tuna
1 tablespoon olive oil
Microgreens, mustard oil and potato chips to garnish
In a bowl, stir together wasabi powder and water, then whisk in next six ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste; reserve.
Toss diced shallots in flour and shake off excess. Fry in oil around 250 degrees for 10-15 minutes until tender but not browned. Once shallots are soft, increase temperature and crisp until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and season with salt and pepper. Place in an airtight container lined with paper towels.
Small dice the avocado and season with lime juice, salt and pepper. Place in pastry bags. Season tuna in large bowl, add olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then place in pastry bags.
To assemble, grease the inside of a 3-inch square mold with olive oil. Using a dessert pipe, pipe in some avocado and flatten, then pipe in some tuna and flatten, keeping in mind the desired ratio is 1/3 avocado to 2/3 tuna. Place a thin, even layer of the crispy shallots on top and again flatten. Remove the mold, shake the sauce and drizzle around tuna. Dot with mustard oil and top tuna with microgreens dressed in a drop of olive oil. Serve with 3 or 4 potato chips. Serves 2.
Source: BLT Prime.