The new owners of a Miami Beach mansion that was supposed to be the setting of an illegal Super Bowl bash say they haven’t planned any party, and have asked for police to get involved, according to an email sent to city officials.
The eight-bedroom, seven-bathroom home at 6360 N. Bay Rd. was advertised online as the site of the largest Super Bowl party in South Florida, complete with spinning DJs, an open bar and dancing women. The price to party: up to $500, according to the online ticket-selling site wantickets.com
But city officials vowed to shut the party down because it’s illegal in Miami Beach to charge a cover fee to a party in a single-family home.
In a new twist, Miami Beach attorney Jaime Rubinson sent an email Thursday to city officials saying the house had been sold this week to clients whom she represents but did not name.
“There is no contract to rent this house with the current or prior owner nor will there be any ‘house party,’ ” Rubinson wrote to the city. “If there is anyone on the premises, they are there illegally and the police should be called.”
She asked the city for an off-duty police officer to patrol the home, according to the email.
Property records list Marvin F. Ceder as the owner of the 9,000-square foot mansion. A man who identified himself as Marvin Ceder emailed a Miami Herald reporter on Thursday, saying the house had been sold on Jan. 28.
Asked for proof, the person wrote: “The sale takes 30 days to show up. I will not be furnishing you with any paperwork.”
According to records in the Multiple Listing Service, the home was put up for sale on Oct. 26 — by two different agents and at two different prices.
Sue Honowitz, who specializes in Golden Beach real estate, listed the house for $5 million, according to the listing service. The same day, another real estate agent, Eric Pearl, listed the house for $7.9 million.
Honowitz dropped her listing soon after, and Pearl lowered the asking price a number of times.
The most recent listing for the house — asking price, $7.25 million — was canceled on Jan. 16. Honowitz, as of Thursday afternoon, still had a rental listing for the property at $35,000 a month, according to real estate records.
Reached by phone, Pearl declined to comment. Honowitz said Thursday the house has sold and “is not available.’’
Miami Beach City Attorney Jose Smith said that sometimes brokers will throw parties at homes when they know the owners will be out of town.
“It happens frequently around the city,” Smith said.
Reached by text message, Rubinson wrote: “Can’t talk. On a cruise ship. No house party. Total misinformation and inaccurate article.”
All the worry may be for naught, though. Watson James, who previously told The Miami Herald that he had planned the party, called a reporter Thursday to say the event had been canceled. He said he didn’t know the proposed party ran afoul of city rules, and that no tickets had been sold.
As of Thursday night, no more tickets were available for purchase online.
James wouldn’t answer questions about how he got permission — if any — to use the home.
“It’s over. It’s done,” he said.
Follow @Cveiga on Twitter.