Turkey 411: Help with your Thanksgiving dinner is just a phone call away
11/20/2012 6:19 PM
11/21/2012 2:15 PM
Solutions to your Thanksgiving cooking dilemmas as well as recipes and menu ideas are a phone call or mouse click away:• USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline: 888-674-6854 (English and Spanish), fsis.usda.gov.
• National Turkey Federation: eatturkey.com.
• Butterball Turkey Talk Line: 800-288-8372.
• Honeysuckle White Turkey Line: 800-810-6325.
• Jennie-O Turkey Hotline: 800-887-5397.
• Reynolds Turkey Tips Hotline: 800-745-4000.
• Better Homes & Gardens: Holiday survival guide at bhg.com/holidays.
• Betty Crocker Help Line: 888-275-2388.
• Ocean Spray Help Line: 800-662-3263.
• Fleischmann’s Yeast Baker’s Help Line: 800-777-4959.
• Land O’Lakes Holiday Baking Line: 800-782-9606.
• Crisco Pie Central: 877-367-7438.
• Libby Consumer Hotline: 800-854-0374.
Uncooked turkey can harbor salmonella. Clean up any raw juices with hot, soapy water, and take care not to contaminate other foods via cutting boards or knives.
Disposable roasting pans are too flimsy to handle safely. If you use one, set it on a cookie sheet for support.
An instant-read thermometer is the best way to tell if your turkey is safely cooked to 165 degrees. Insert it in the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone.
Perishable foods should not be left at room temperature for more than two hours. Refrigerate leftovers promptly in shallow containers for quick cooling.
Winn-Dixie, Whole Foods, Sedano’s and Milam’s are among the supermarkets that will be open Thanksgiving Day (for reduced hours in most cases, so call ahead).
A host of South Florida restaurants are offering holiday menus on Thursday. Find a listing at Miami.com/restaurants.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.