Hurricane Sandy forces cancellation of school athletic events in South Florida
Hurricane Sandy led Miami-Dade, Broward and archdiocese schools to classes and outdoor events.
10/25/2012 11:55 AM
09/23/2013 9:49 AM
Schools have canceled classes and outdoor activities ahead of Hurricane Sandy.
On Thursday:• All outdoor after-school activities, including football games, are canceled at Miami-Dade, Broward, Archdiocese of Miami, Gulliver and Belen Jesuit Preparatory schools.
• After-care is canceled at archdiocese schools.
On Friday:• Classes for all archdiocese schools in Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe counties — as well as Gulliver and Belen schools — are canceled.
• Monroe public schools will be closed.
• In Broward, outdoor activities are canceled or postponed. Football and swimming events will be held instead on Saturday or Monday, according to the Broward County Athletic Association.
• Miami-Dade schools have not decided on cancellations of Friday activities.
• The Belen homecoming game against Mater Academy has been cancelled. The homecoming dance will continue as scheduled.
This report will be updated as more information becomes available.
Follow @Cveiga on Twitter.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.