Ryan Tannehill strikes a deal with Miami Dolphins

07/29/2012 12:01 AM

09/08/2014 5:58 PM

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill’s contract squabble with the Dolphins has ended two days into training camp.

Tannehill agreed to terms with the Dolphins on Saturday night and is expected to join the team Sunday, a source confirmed.

The agreement, first reported by ESPN, is believed to be worth $12.6 million over four years, with an option for a fifth season.

Tannehill, considered an underdog for the starting job, missed practices and walkthrough sessions Friday and Saturday.

The holdup was the Dolphins’ insistence on offset language that would protect the team from paying all of his guaranteed money if Tannehill was released during the length of his contract.

Tannehill — who was drafted eighth overall — did not get the offset language fully removed from the deal, even though the seventh and ninth overall picks had no such language in their contracts.

But the Dolphins made some undisclosed concessions, and Tannehill did not want to miss any more practice time.

The Dolphins and Tannehill’s agent declined to comment.

Tannehill had reportedly been working out at the IMG Madden Academy in Bradenton under the direction of former FSU quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke, who tutored Cam Newton during last year’s lockout.

THIS AND THAT

• Among Dolphins receivers who lack a large body of work, Roberto Wallace and Julius Pruitt consistently have received the most praise from teammates during the past two months. The Dolphins coaching staff apparently agrees.

With Brian Hartline missing practice because of a calf injury, Pruitt received playing time with the first team Saturday when the Dolphins went to a four-receiver set, along with Chad Johnson, Davone Bess and Legedu Naanee.

“I’m expecting this to be a big year for me,” Pruitt said. “I’ve improved a lot.”

Wallace got some work with the starters during the team’s offseason program, and Pruitt and Wallace appear to be running fifth and sixth among Dolphins receivers. It’s difficult to envision Miami keeping more than six, if that many.

But it’s still early, and Clyde Gates and others have a chance.

Of Pruitt and Wallace, coach Joe Philbin said: “You like their body types. They’ve caught the ball very well. You watch them run around the field, they’re the first guys in their drills, and they’re hustling.

“I love their attitude. I think they have good skill. I think they run well. I think they have good hands. I think those two guys definitely have a future, and I’m excited to see what they’re going to do during training camp.”

Hartline declined to discuss his injury but said he feels “pretty good.” Asked about Hartline’s chances of being a No. 1 receiver, Philbin said: “I can’t tell you right now … if he’s the No. 1 receiver or not.”

•  David Garrard outplayed Matt Moore for the second day in a row. Moore had a pass batted down (his third in two days) and had at least seven poorly thrown passes, including four overthrows. Garrard wasn’t perfect but threw several pinpoint passes.
• Safety Chris Clemons sat out practice with a bruised knee, and Jimmy Wilson replaced him in 11-on-11 drills.

Cornerback Richard Marshall replaced Vontae Davis with the first team for a few reps during those drills, opposite Sean Smith.

•  Reggie Bush said he wants to lead the league in rushing. “I think it’s very possible,” he said.

Join the Discussion

Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service