George Zimmerman released on bail
George Zimmerman will live in a Seminole County safehouse while awaiting trial, his lawyer said.
07/06/2012 5:00 AM
07/06/2012 5:14 PM
George Zimmerman posted bail and walked out of jail Friday, a day after the judge in his second-degree murder case set his new bond at $1 million.
Records show Zimmerman paid $100,000 cash and his parents, Robert and Gladys Zimmerman, put up their home for a bondman’s collateral. He will be required to wear an electronic monitoring device and remain in Seminole County. He’ll be charged $9.50 a day for the device.
Wearing a suit jacket and dress shirt, he left jail at about 2:50 p.m. He was accompanied by two men and left in a Suburban.
News of Zimmerman’s high bail caused a bonanza of donations to his legal defense fund, defense attorney Mark O’Mara announced Friday. Donations increased nearly 20-fold.
Seminole County Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester announced Thursday that Zimmerman could leave jail pending trial if he posted a $1 million bond. O’Mara said the bond cost Zimmerman $85,000 cash, because he already spent $15,000 on a bondsman fee when he was first released in April.
Zimmerman’s earlier bond, set at $150,000 on April 20, had been revoked because he misled the court about the amount of money he raised online. The online legal defense site that normally gets about $1,000 in donations a day received an outpouring of support in the past 24 hours.
“Since the $1,000,000 bond was made public on July 5, supporters have donated approximately $20,000,” O’Mara said. “In the two months prior to the Court’s Order Setting Bail, the George Zimmerman Defense Fund had received approximately $55,000.”
A temporary safe house has been located where Zimmerman will stay until a more secure location is identified, O’Mara said.
Zimmerman faces one count of second degree murder for the Feb. 26 killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old from Miami Gardens. Zimmemran steadfastly maintains that he’s innocent of the charge, and had to shoot the unarmed teen to save his own life. The boy, he said, attacked him and broke his nose.
This story will be updated as more details become available.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.