South Florida’s visual arts scene is exploding beyond museum walls and gardens. Here’s an at-a-glance guide to select exhibitions in commercial galleries in February.
▪ In Coral Gables, Artspace/Virginia Miller Galleries traces the evolution of Leon Berkowitz (1911-1987), catalyst for the renowned Washington Color School, in 22 works ranging from geometric abstractions to his softly luminous late works. “Leon Berkowitz: Cascades of Light, Paintings from 1965-1986,” runs through April. Open 11 a.m.-6 p.m., weekdays, with receptions 6-10 p.m. every first Friday, 169 Madeira Ave., Coral Gables. virginiamiller.com , 305-444-4493.
▪ In celebration of Black History Month, Little Haiti’s Yeelen Gallery presents “Black Freedom,” a series of works by Miami-based artist Jerome Soimaud, Feb. 14-May 2. Soimaud’s intricate charcoal-and-graphite drawings reflect the often-nuanced struggle for equality in America. Included in the exhibit is a tribute to the last hours of Jumbo’s Restaurant. Open 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 294 NW 54th Street, Miami. yeelenart.com, 954-235-4758.
▪ In Miami’s Little River district, Michael Jon Gallery opens a show of works by Laddie John Dill, Cayetano Ferrer and Michael Hunter on Jan. 31. The show runs through March 7. Gallery hours are noon-7 p.m. Fridays and noon-5 p.m. Saturdays, 255 NE 69th St. michaeljongallery.com; 305-521-8520.
▪ Nearby Bill Brady Gallery presents “Nick Farhi: Don't Need Roads,” through Feb. 14, featuring 12 paintings that focus on the sky as a source of release, Farhi likens the images to what it feels like to coast and fly within a first person perspective. 7230 NW Miami Ct., Miami. billbradygallery.com.
▪ Adamar Fine Arts presents “Palm Springs or Bust,” an exhibition highlighting its participation in the Palm Springs Fine Art Fair. Showcased are works by Andy Warhol, Alex Katz, Donald Sultan, Jim Dine and other gallery artists. The show runs Feb. 1- March 1, though the gallery will be closed from Feb. 9-16 — dates of the Palm Springs Fine Art Fair. Open noon-6 p.m. weekdays; 1-5 p.m. Saturdays, 4141 NE Second Ave., No. 107, in Miami’s Design District. 305-576-1355; adamargallery.com.
▪ “Forms of Abstraction” at N’Namdi Contemporary Gallery includes works by Hugo McCloud, Rashid Johnson, Stephon Senegal and Chakaia Booker, from Feb. 14-March 31. 177 NW 23rd St., Wynwood. nnamdicontemporary.com; 786-332-4736.
▪ “Emergent Behavior,” featuring photographic works by Thomas Jackson, is on display through March 6 at Dina Mitrani Gallery. Open 1-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 2620 NW Second Ave., Wynwood. 786-486-7248; dinamitranigallery.com.
▪ “Western Code,” featuring work by Charley Friedman, uses humor to express intersections between cultural, intellectual and cultural divides. At Gallery Diet, Open 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 174 NW 23rd St., Wynwood. gallerydiet.com; 305-571-2288.
▪ Emerson Dorsch features entirely new bodies of work by Miami-based Brandon Opalka and Hugo Montoya. “BACK ON EARTH, a tragicomedy in two parts” includes large-scale installations, sculptures, paintings, video, and an interactive immersive-environment. Amidst a volley between evidence and lyricism, the gallery and the artists construct and present parallel stories. Through Jan. 31. Open noon-5 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 151 NW 24th St., Wynwood. emersondorsch.com; 305-576-1278.
▪ “Illumination,” and exhibit of work in aluminum and glazes by Miami-born Red Wolf, runs through Feb. 28 at Kelley Roy Gallery, 50 NE 29th St., Wynwood. Open 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday. kelleyroy.com; 305-447-3888.
▪ Projects Gallery presents “Miami Mix, a selection of works by artists featured during the 2014 Miami Art Week, including Frank Hyder, Joanne Mattera, Bruce Garrity and Aida Tejada, at its Wynwood space, 250 NW 23rd St., No. 206. 267-303-9652; projectsgallery.com
▪ Gary Nader Art Centre presents recent acquisitions, including works by Pablo Atchugarry, Fernando Botero, Robert Indiana, Wifredo Lam and Rufino Tamayo. Open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 62 NE 27th St., Wynwood. garynader.com, 305-576-0256.
Editor’s note: This week marks the debut of our new monthly roundup of exhibitions in South Florida’s commercial galleries, artists spaces and other non-museum art spaces. For consideration, please submit information by the 15th of each month to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include a high-resolution image suitable for publication and write ‘Galleries’ in the subject field.