Pudgy Fox News Channel founder Roger Ailes, who left the conservative media company in disgrace when several female anchors accused him of sexual harassment, has found a new great place in Palm Beach.
Ailes, 76, is said to be the secret new owner of a fancy modern beachfront mansion bought earlier this month by a bank trust for $36 million.
In Florida, courts cannot force the sale of someone’s home to pay off judgments, and troubled tycoons have routinely used the state’s law to invest in real estate.
Ailes’ supposed new purchase, which closed on Sept. 19, was made in the name of City National Bank of Florida Trust No. 2401-3263-00.
Never miss a local story.
Neither Ailes’ name nor his wife Elizabeth’s can be found in official records.
The trustee is Palm Beach County estate lawyer Ron Kochman, who declined comment before hanging up the phone without waiting for follow-up questions.
“The purchase has been very hush-hush on the island,” said one of the sources. “He’s been looking for real estate in South Florida very aggressively because he is worried about getting hit with a huge judgment.”
In past real estate transactions, Ailes used the North Miami law firm of Kramer & Golden to dot the Is and cross the Ts.
Firm owner Richard Golden didn’t return calls for comment.
The founding CEO of Fox in 1996, Ailes was forced to resign in July and reportedly offered a $40 million golden parachute. The pressures on Ailes stemmed from accusations by high-profile Fox News on-air talent that Ailes made untoward sexual advances.
The mansion, meanwhile, was one of the most coveted new constructions in Palm Beach and was designed to look more like a Miami Beach mansion than a chi-chi cottage. It offers 12,700 square feet of sheer luxury with sweeping views on the ocean and the property’s private beach from the dozens of large aquarium windows.
The six-bedroom, 10-bathroom house was finished in late 2015 and boasts an interior designed by the high-profile Florida-based Marc-Michaels Interior Design.
Back to Miami
Justin Bieber will have to temporarily leave his European tour within the next month and fly to Miami for a court-mandated grilling — or he could face arrest in the United States in November when the tour ends.
The singer, 22, is being sued by a photographer in connection with a 2014 altercation between shutterbug Manuel Munoz and one of Bieber’s bodyguards on Washington Avenue in Miami Beach.
However, Munoz’s attorney has been unable to get Bieber to sit down with him for a deposition.
They two had at least three different dates, including when Bieber came to Miami for two concerts in July, but Bieber has kept postponing.
Wednesday, exasperated Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge Jerald Bagley issued an order that accuses Bieber of “contumacious disregard” for his authority in the 2-year-old case.
“Justin Bieber shall appear for deposition in South Florida within 30 days of this order, or a writ of bodily attachment shall be issued,” Bagley wrote.
Translation: The writ commands law enforcement anywhere in the country to arrest Bieber and bring him to the judge in handcuffs if necessary.
“I’ve never seen the judge this angry,” a court observer said. “He pounded on the bench and shut up all the lawyers before he issued the order.”
So, where’s the singer of “Sorry” going to be over the next month?
He’s got concerts in Sweden, Denmark, Holland, Belgium and the United Kingdom.
Neither Mark Dicowden, Munoz’s attorney, nor John Bond Atkinson, Bieber’s attorney, returned calls for comment.