No more risk of getting soaked by an unexpected shower, and thank goodness, a poker room where seat position doesn’t determine whether you are freezing or sweating.
The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino has relocated the resort’s poker room, previously situated outside in Seminole Paradise, to the ballrooms inside the hotel. Poker play started June 1. The casino has demolished most of Seminole Paradise in preparation for future construction.
The new room took a little reworking of Ballrooms A&B. A cashier’s cage and check-in stand are at the front, and TVs are placed high on the walls. The room, which had been used for poker play during the casino’s larger tournaments, had already been supplied with eye-in-the-sky cameras. There are 36 tables, almost as many as there were at the old room.
But players who park in the Seminole Way garage now are covered as they stroll through the casino floor, past the Hard Rock Café and Blue Plate and into the poker room. The old two-story poker room also had drawn complaints from players who felt the blast of air conditioning in the room, which originally had been designed to be a sports bar.
Never miss a local story.
The poker action continues to increase. Seminole Gaming recently announced its partnership with the World Series of Poker to host two events during the upcoming WSOP Circuit season. The series will be at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Sept. 21 to Oct. 2 and Seminole Casino Coconut Creek on Feb. 8-19, 2018.
But before that there will be regular tournaments and some high-hand promotions. Saturday, the room will have $1,000 high hands, with rollovers, every 30 minutes from 4 p.m. to midnight. But on top of that, the high hand winner at 6, 8, 10 p.m. and midnight will have a seat in the $5,250 Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open main event added to their prize.
Luau at Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras Casino has luau-related promotions all month.
Hourly from 5-9 p.m. Mondays, patrons toss coconuts for a share of $30,000 cash in “Coconut Chaos.” Every 30 minutes from 5-9p.m. Tuesdays, is “Luau Loot” with a top prize of $500 free play.
From 5-9 p.m. Thursdays is “Hula Moola,” where players can decide whether to keep going or take their winnings, and hourly from 6-11 p.m. Fridays and 2-7 p.m. Sundays is “Tiki Treasure.” One person will choose a Tiki Totem to reveal a hidden treasure.
▪ The Kings Court jai-alai fronton in Florida City opens at 11:30 a.m. Friday. Jai-alai must run for one day before the poker room opens, so the card room debut was pushed back from Monday to June 17. Jai-alai was set to debut last Saturday, but heavy rain delayed construction.
▪ Calder Casino is building up to a three-car, three-day Volkswagen Jetta giveaway July 1-3. Slot players can earn entries into the drawing with every 10 points they accrue. Qualifying drawings are from 6-9 p.m. each Saturday, when the casino also gives away up to $1,000 free play.
▪ “A Night at the Copacabana,” featuring Kevin Ceballo, is at 9 p.m. Saturday at Magic City Casino. The event is billed as a fusion of salsa and merengue. Admission is free.
▪ Hialeah Park has guest appreciation Thursdays in June. It requires only one slot point for Pink Card members to receive $5 in free play. Silver card members get $10 and black card members $20.
▪ Casino Miami gives away up to $1,000 in free play hourly from 3-11 p.m. Sunday.
Seminole Casino Coconut Creek has a “$100,000 Lucky Fives Multiplier Giveaway” from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday. One person wins $555 free play every five minutes, with a chance to quintuple their winnings each hour.
▪ The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino offers “Supercharged Hard Rockin’ Sevens” from noon to 8 p.m. Sunday. One player will win $777 free play every 30 minutes from noon to 8 p.m. Plus, one person wins $1,777 each hour from 1 to 8 p.m.
▪ Giveaways run all month at Gulfstream Park Casino via the “Feel the Funk” free play drawings. The grand prize is $15,000 on June 30.
▪ Master improviser George Wallace will perform at the Casino @ Dania Beach at 8 p.m. Saturday. He is known for his appearances on TV shows including Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, the Arsenio Hall Show, Chelsea Lately and Lopez Tonight. The comedy show is 21 and over. Tickets start at $20. VIP tables are available for $300 and include seating for four. For more details, visit casinodaniabeach.com.
▪ The Isle Casino gives away tickets to this summer’s MLB All-Star Game (to be held in Miami) each Friday. Every 30 minutes from 4-10 p.m. is a top prize of $500 free play. The main drawing is at 11 p.m. and requires 100 tier points to enter. Slot players who accrue 250 tier points (except for June 26-27) receive 10 times their normal amount of entries on Mondays and Tuesdays.
▪ DJ Lil John (“Turn Down for What,” “Shots”) performs Friday at Resorts World Bimini. Rooms start at $299. Go to RWBimini.com.