Recently Added Memories

This is a list of memories people have recently shared. If you'd like to add your memory of Mariel, please search for your boat and click 'add your memory' on the boat's profile page.

Showing results 101 to 120 of 595
Carmen M Alvarez Balboa's memory of Captain Seagull (in Tow)

Captain Seagull is the name of the boat I came in. I can not choose it in the database as my boat because it does not appear as an option. Can it be added now? It was a shrimp boat. I do not recall the details of the trip other than it was 36 hours l (read the rest of this memory)ong and in the middle of the ocean some refugees from a smaller boat that broke were transferred to our boat. My parolee said that I arrived on June 3 and the database reflects June 5. I honestly do no recall the exact date. Thank you so much for making this enormous effort . Our history is finally real!

Millie's memory of Queen Of Queen (carabel, Fl)

My parents and I came to the US via Spain when I was five years old. I was 17 years old when the Mariel Boat lift. My dad went to Cuba and was able to bring back eleven members of our family after waiting 22 days at Mariel until they were able to (read the rest of this memory)load the boat. My mom and I spent two days in Key West by the pier waiting for them. I remember seeing the Queen of Queens come in and my dad on board. It was an overwealming experience knowing that those eleven people my dad brought over were my family and I did not know them but some how loved them and had a connection with them. God Bless the USA!

magaly perez cabana's memory of Sea Hawks

travesia tenebrosa y desconocida,pero definitivamente,a la libertad ,agradezco profundamente a su capitan y tripulacion y sobre todo a este pais,que nos acogio y pasamos de ser seres de tercera a seres humanos con derechos ,gracias

Mildred Perdomo's memory of Rosa B. Murray

To Family and Friends:

My name is Mildred Perdomo. Today, May 25, 2010, I have been in this country for 30 years. This is my celebration of good versus evil, freedom over dictatorship. My friends call me Milly. I am an Asylum Officer working (read the rest of this memory)for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security with the Asylum Division of the Refugee, Asylum and International Operations Directorate. My story is not very peculiar, but I always wanted to share it with those that might understand. I arrived to this country as an eight years old child. I was wearing a white top and red shorts. This is my story.

It was a hot morning on May 25, 1980, when my family left Cuba on the Rosa B. Murray shrimp-boat during the Mariel Exodus (“the Freedom Flotilla”). I guess that now you know my age, although in my culture, a lady never reveals her true age, it is too late now. In Cuba, we suffered oppression, persecution and hunger. We left with the clothes we were wearing. The Cuban government would not allow us to take even the documents that evidenced our personal history. By the time we reached the United States coast, our clothes were wet from the sea. Somehow, the Caribbean Sea baptized us. Thus, we became part of my adopted land, the United States of America.

We arrived at the refugee camps in Florida without a cent. All we had was each other and the desire to work hard. The ride in the boat changed the destiny of my family. In Cuba, we endured terrible conditions at a refugee camp. Families waited for months for authorization from the Cuban government to leave the Island. Everybody slept in the grass, without a roof or sanitary facilities. On the meantime, political prisoners were harassed with German Shepherd dogs. Later that summer, the boat in which my aunt, uncle, and small cousin left Cuba, began to drown due to an excess of people. The American Coast Guard rescued them just in time to avoid another tragedy. These were the memories left of Cuba for the eight-year old girl who went to college, business school, and law school and now works for DHS. These experiences triggered a desire in me to protect refugees without neglecting the security of the American Homeland. The “adventures” of my childhood cultivated my curiosity in Immigration Law, developing my ability to work with people of different backgrounds.
These adventures also shaped my life forever, not with bitterness or resentment, but with love and appreciation for this great nation, the United States of America.

My family comes from very humble beginnings, as evidenced by this story. In about three decades, the older generation managed to make a life for their children and for themselves in a new country where they did not speak the language, knew their customs, or share their history. They produced law-abiding children who went on to become lawyers, pastors, actors, librarians, engineers, accountants, and even an aspiring scientist. The road was not always easy. Sometimes at home, there was not enough to eat. Other times, Mom worked so many extra shifts at her factory that when she arrived home, her legs were stiff with pain. My father lost a finger working at his own factory. Without his finger, he later on pushed a hot dog cart down the streets of Puerto Rico (where we eventually moved to and enjoyed a happy life with our Puerto Rican friends that became like family members) to support the family. The stories are many, and if I was to write them all down right now, they would become a book. I know that you are a busy person, and my intent is not to bore you with details. All I know is that in Puerto Rico, my friends made me feel at home, with their support and generosity without boundaries. Those are the friends that you never forget in life.

I only wanted to thank this great nation and my uncle Mario Jordan and my aunt Luisa Jordan (our sponsors) for allowing me and my family to find happiness in this amazing country. My story has a happy ending. It was President Carter, who welcomed the Cuban refugees back in 1980 with open arms, as his famous words stated back at that time. The USA saved my life, ours lives. My parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and my sister, Ileana, would always be grateful. The alternative would have been to continue surviving in a sad island where freedom has become an empty word. Thanks to an act of generosity, I now work helping others to achieve their dreams in this country. I also work protecting this country by preventing those who want to harm this nation from staying here. Thank you, again. God Bless America.

I also want to thank my family for always being a family no matter what. The elders taught the young generation to be law-abiding hard working individuals with great faith in this Nation. They made many sacrifices for us and that should never be forgotten. My advice to you, if you are reading, honor them, cherish them, because you have real heroes in your family.
My dear family, I love you with all my heart.
My dear friends everywhere, you are part of this journey.
God Bless America, and God Bless Puerto Rico.

God Bless you,

Prima Mildred
ps-If anyone wants to get in touch with me, do so at

mercedez hernandez hernandez's memory of Willie J

viaje con mi mama marcela y mi hijo amauri izquierdo

Juan Monrabal Navarro's memory of Reef Queen

Despues de pasar tantos dias en la carreta donde nos procesaron para salir al Mariel y que nos tenian retenidos por tantos dias pues yo estaba con el grupo de menores de 21 anios , en el 80 yo tenia 19 anios y esto era mucho para la imagen de Cuba an (read the rest of this memory)te el mundo que el hombre nuevo ya no soportaba mas de la porqueria del comunismo y todos queriamos salir del infierno en que viviamos.Parece mentira que ya han pasado 30 anios y la verdad es que la gran mayoria de nosotros ha logrado en la libertad lo que siempre se nos nego' en el paraiso comunista , casi todos estudiamos aqui lo que siempre quisimos hacer y logramos nuestras metas y mucho mas de lo que nunca nos imaginamos, El viaje fue algo aterrador por la cantidad de refugiados abordo a tal punto que se quemo' el motor y fuimos trasladados a un barco de la marina de los EUA y de este nos mandaron en helicopteros para cayo hueso,recuerdo un sandwich de mantequilla de mani' y mermelada de fresa que nos ofresieron, ,que rico algo tan simple y nutritivo, es increhible que despues de 30 anios es una de mis chucherias favoritas teniendo en cuentas que mi profesio'n es Chef De Cusine con 25 anios de experiencia en los mejores restaurantes de la bella ciudad de Nueva Orleans donde resido desde el 80, si hay otros cocineros por este foro que son cubanos y quisieran hacer algo para un futuro no muy lejos en nuestra bella isla en relacion con cocina y quizas el Instituto Internacional de Artes Culinarios de La Habana, donde podemos ensenar a los cubanos hermanos nuestros que se pueden ganar la vida aprendiendo y estudiando una profesio'n que le da a uno y a todos a nuestro alrededor imnumerables placeres COMER.Saludos a todos los bendecidos Marielitas que han logrados sus suenos y que pronto nuestros hermanos puedan tener la libertad para tomar sus propias opiniones y suenos y hacerlos realidad.Saludos Felix Monrabal Navarro.

Antonio de Leon's memory of Papa Doolie

Por equivocacion añadi a mi primo Pedro de Leon a este barco, pero el no vino en el.Por favor lo pueden quitar del barco pues al no saber bien como trabajaba pense que podia añadir mi nombre pero el ultimo search fue el y quedo en el barco pero el no (read the rest of this memory) fue pasajero.
Al salir este barco de Cuba tenia un pequeño bote atado a el y muchos queriamos subir al bote pensando que llegaria mas rapido. Una enfermera (creo), cubano-americana que habia ido a buscar familiares en el barco conto los que habian subido a este bote y cuando se contaron y la suma dio 17, ella dijo que nadie mas montara en el. Yo me quede con un pie fuera del barco y volvi al barco. Gracias a Dios pues en medio del mar con la tormenta el bote iba atado pues no tenia motor propio y le preguntaron a los que alli venian todos mojados por el vaiven del mar si querian venir al barco grande. Ellos gritaron que si. Alaron el bote por la soga hasta quedar pegado al barco. Brinco el primero, el segundo y en pleno brinco del tercer muchacho una ola separo al barco del bote y el muchacho cayo al mar. Era el atardecer del dia 18 de Mayo y por mas que se busco al muchacho en el mar, se tiraron salvavidas, nunca aparecio. Fue un momento muy triste pues podiamos haber sido cualquiera de los que queriamos venir en aquel bote. Rezamos un Padre Nuestro en memoria del muchacho pues ya habia pasado mucho tiempo sin que apareciera. Luego termino el paso del resto con mas cuidado. No hubo mas incidentes de este tipo. Se dijo en aquel momento que un hermano del muchacho tambien venia en aquel bote y se pudo identificar.
En otro momento llegaron los guardacostas pues habia personas desidratadas en el barco. Amarraron el guardacostas al barco con lo que creo eran unos grandes hierros de manera tal que los dos barcos se movian al unisono. Pero con lo que habia pasado, ninguno de los que estaban en malas condiciones quiso pasar al barco guardacostas. Aquellos momentos fueron muy dificiles y gracias a esa cubana-americana que creo era enfermera la situacion estuvo bajo control. Todos obedeciamos lo que ella decia.
Ella nos pidio que aquellos que estabamos bien que no tomaramos agua para guardar los recursos para los que tenian algun problema. Yo ni agua tome. En posiciones muy incomodas, sentados unos muy pegados a los otros, para cambiar la posicion, otro tenia que moverse tambien. Nos parabamos por turno para estirar las piernas, y nos sentabamos cuando otro necesitaba pararse. Hablando de cualquier cosa para calmar los nervios sin saber lo que nos esperaba. El viaje duro 24 horas. De las 12 del dia del dia 18 de Mayo hasta las 12 del dia del dia 19 que llegamos a Cayo Hueso donde nos atendieron muy bien.
Comimos y esperamos en unas carpas a que algo pasara hasta que nos vinieron a buscar. Nos montaron en unas guaguas amarillas (ahora se que son escolares) y nos llevaron a un aeropuerto y de ahi a Pennsylvania a Fort Indiantown Gap donde nos procesaron. Toda travesia y muchos pormenores se los escribi a mi madre en Cuba, pero ya no me acuerdo de muchos detalles. Vere si puedo recuperar algo de aquellas cartas.

Lázaro Carlos Azcano Ravelo's memory of Five Star

fui unos de los pocos familiares de la tripulacion, que dejaron venir junto a todos los que ellos añadieron; vine con mi mamá Obdulia Ravelo Perez, ya fallecida, ademas mi prima con su esposo y dos niños, una tia, por parte materna, ya fallecida tamb (read the rest of this memory)ien, con su hijo, otro primo en total de la misma familia fuimos 8, pero de los otros tripulantes les dejaron venir 1 o 2

camilo cejo rodriguez's memory of Irene

estoy un poco en desacuerdo con esa historia ,pero es que hace tanto tiempo, que se pueden olvidar algunas cosas,el capitan de la embarcacion era el padrino de mi amigo fausto,y es verdad que se rompio un motor, antes de eso tubimos que pasar una bat (read the rest of this memory)eria de otro barco , para el de nosotros, y eso lo hizo un amigo de nosotros que le deciamos el buzo ,ya que no recuerdo su nombre,despues , pasamos unos pasajeros de una lancha rapida para la de nosotros que costo mucho trabajo y muy riesgoso ya que era una persona mayor,en la manana apenas habiamos adelantado, muy poco ya que el oleage causado por un ciclon que paso cerca de nosotros dias antes de salir proboco que fueramos en zig zag , lo de la otra embarcacion era parte de la nuesta,y en cuanto dejo de seguirnos y enfilo hacia cuba,todos pensamos en lo peor, que se habian rajado, pero decidimos alcanzarlos y nos dimos cuenta que se le habia partido el timon y quedaron a la deriba, entoces fue que lo remolcamos , y el no saber enfrentar ese tipo de situacion fue que metimos la pata de amarrarlo corto y no podiamos ir al compas de las olas y provoco que se danara la madera que sugetava los pisos del yate.pero nunca lo tiramos, al aguaya que corriamos el riezgo de volcarnos,el guadacostas remolco alos de atras y los sbieron a bordo y a nosotros que siguieramos,fue cuando se rompio el techo y llamamos al guardacostas que fue el mismo, ya que tenian a los que recogieron con mantas abrigados sobre cubierta, pero a nosotros un marinero de la raza negra se tiro al mar y nos ayudo a amarrarnos, y de ahi en adelante,como una flecha hasta cayo hueso, faltan mas anedotas, como que unos locos que cuando el otro barco giro se pusieron un poco revoltosos y le dijimos si queria ser carne de tiburon y se calmaron enseguida, yo fui uno de los 5 que no nos mariamos , conmigo venia misra que me la pase aguantandola todo el tiempo, ya que perdio la nocion del tiempo , mi hija de 11 anos que estaba en los camarotes con una bolsa de nylon llema de vilis y mi hijo de 12 debajo del que lleveva el barco, ya les contare mas

Ofelia Hutchinson's memory of God's Mercy

I was the nurse on board,
I will always remember mothers combing their children's hair as we approached the Key West chores Pride and tenderness shinning on their faces.Bless them all

oswaldo ramos's memory of Dr. Daniels

mi nombre es oswaldo ramos el barco dr, daniels nos recojio en medio de el mar estavamos a la deriva, habiamos como 18 en una lancha chiquita casi undida y ese barco aparesio de la nada y nos salvo grasias a Dios.

Hilda Presas Alberti's memory of Rubber Duck

Por favor, si alguien recuerda a mi tía una viejecita de 75 años de edad, que su foto salió en la primera plana de un periódico de Miami el día 23 de Mayo de 1980, el día que ella llegó a Key West. Su nombre era Justina Josefina Alberti Calvo. Estam (read the rest of this memory)os tratando de buscar el nombre del barco en que ella vino de Cuba para ponerlo en nuestras memorias. Ella estaba muy enferma y el capitan del barco la sento junto a él en el cuarto de máquinas. Por favor me pueden mandar un mensaje a mi email. Gracias.

Captain Michael hamilton's memory of Red Diamond V

I was a US Marine at the time.There was a rope tied to the building where the ladies where cooking for the people from the boats.
The rope went to the bow of this M/V red Diamond.I fell off busted my head durning training there.
I fell for a yo (read the rest of this memory)ung lady from Cuba just days before, her sister was cooking for us in that same building.She made me a Coke and Pet milk drink, never had that before , it was good.
While her sister stayed she and her younger brother left for where ever they took them.
I never for got her and the time we spent with her family, should she read this I want you to know I never forgot you.

Narciso A. Leon's memory of La Manda Louise

Recuerdo que salimos de por la madrugada. Eramos mi hermano menor, mi padre y mi madre. Estaba muy contento porque al fin podiamos salir de cuba. Tenia muchos sueños y esperansas para el futuro. Pero no teniamos ni idea de lo que nos esperaba en el v (read the rest of this memory)iaje. El mar estaba muy fuerte y causaba mucho movimiento. Muchos se enfermaron por la marea. Mi madre tubo surte y encontro cupo en la cosina de el camarote con otras señoras. Ahi tenian latas de tuna con pan. Mi madrea sacaba un poco y lo repartia entre mi hermano y yo. Ella tambien recuerda que hacian un pocito de cafe y le ofrecian cafe. Ella traia una lata de leche conlensad y pudo hacer un poco de cafe con leche. Mi hermano encontro un rinconsito a lado de una nevera y ahi se acosto con una tualla. En un oliaje bien fuerte, el barco iso un bajon que se boto toda la leche de vaca que acababan de hervir. Cuando llegamos a la Florida, nuestra prima llego a recibirnos. Nos esperaban en su casa con tremenda comida. Teniamos tanta hambre que no creo que saboriamos nada. Comimos tanto. Ese dia nunca se me olvida.

Almeris Mesa's memory of Lucky Cracker

I was nine years old and I remember getting on that boat and feeling very excited to embark on this great journey. Shortly after the boat sailed I fell asleep. When I finally woke up, I was in Key West. It was truly an incredible feeling. The air sm (read the rest of this memory)elled of freedom and I never felt happier. I had arrived in the USA. I was finally living the reality which just a few months ago had been only a fantasy. AM

Teresa's memory of El Dorado

It was my uncle Luis Ayan who made the arrangements with the boat captain (Last name: Plas). The boat was stationed in Sarasota. It used to be a shrimp boat and it was also used to move the elephants of the Ringling and Bros. circus from Sarasota t (read the rest of this memory)o New York. There is a picture of this boat in the Wikipedia page under the definition for Mariel Boatlift.
I came with my two sisters (ages 15 and 13), and I was 17. My parents stayed in Cuba because the Cuban government would not let my father leave considering that he was an Engineer. The statement was that professionals were not allow to leave just like that via Mariel, that only artists, students, housewives, and such were allowed.
It took over 21 hours to get here. There were engine problems during the trip. We all 3 got seasick within minutes of departure.
It was a beautiful sight when we left, so many and many boats leaving at the same time. I do not know the exact day when we left. We spent one night traveling from Holguin to Habana, then one night in El Mosquito, then one night in the boat anchored in the bay.
Shortly after we left all of the boats that left with us disappeared from sight.
Along the way we encountered some sinking boats, abandoned boats, overloaded boats. We looked overboard once in a while when something appeared, but it was all in a blur.

Oscar Marcof's memory of Jolly Rodger

Tengo muchas memorias pero esta le puso la tapa al pomo. Cuando llegamos, al ver los portable toilets alguien dijo que eran refrigedadores llenos de jamon y queso y mira como las gentes entran, comen y salen.

Nestor A Llorente's memory of Charles M

Estuve en el "Campamentpo del Mosquito" desde Agosto 29 hasta que salimos en Septiembre 10, 1980. Cuando llegamos al campamento, nos registraron todo: yo solo tenia mi cepillo y pasta de dientes, un jacket y un libro que fue confiscado. La lista de b (read the rest of this memory)arcos y pasajeros era leida diariamente alrededor de la hora de almuerzo. Nunca tuve certeza del tiempo porque deje el reloj en casa: era de mi abuelo y no queria que los "milicianos" se quedaran con el. El dia de la partida anunciaron los barcos al mediodia y fue la unica vez que me bane con jabon. Ya de noche, fuimos despertados con luces y sirenas: era la hora de leer de nuevo la "lista" de pasajeros y revisar la documentacion: un pasaporte con foto de colores (una cosa poco comun en aquellos tiempos: tener un pasaporte y con foto en color todo hecho en 24 horas!). Fuimos trasportados hasta el puertodel Mariel, donde esperamos en una nave con bancos hasta abordar "Charles M". Fue muy emocionante la vista de la bandera americana en la popa del bote: me dio un inolvidable sentimiento de seguridad y proteccion. La travesia fue larga, teniamos poco espacio y permanecimos sentados con las piernas recogidas en la cubierta del barco en la parte posterior. Me recuerdo un momento de tension cuando los guardacostas cubanos nos enfocaron con los reflectores. Habiamos oido tantas historias de barcos tratando de salir del pais clandestinos que eran ametrallados, que los que me redeaban y yo tratamos de ponermos lo mas cerca del piso de la cubierta que pudimos, dado el escaso espacio que disponiamos. Otro momento emocionante, me imagino cerca de las costas de EU, fue cuando un avion del Servicio de Guardacostas de los EU nos sobrevolo. Creo que esa fue la senal de que estabamos cerca de ser salvados y libres!!!

n/a's memory of Lucky Cracker

Sandra is the name of a lady that went on Lucky Cracker to pick up her parents. She lives in Tampa, FL. She told me that she spent many days over in Cuba waiting for her parents. She has pictures of that place and the some of the people that came (read the rest of this memory)on that boat. She also told me that she keeps in touch with the Captain.

n/a's memory of Lucky Cracker

Jose Manuel Torga and wife Clara Santana parents of Sandra came from Cuba on Lucky Cracker. The Captain of that boat still lives somewhere in Bahia Honda, Fl Keys.