WAR COURT

Pretrial hearings bog down in 9/11 case at Guantánamo

 

Guantánamo’s 9/11 hearings are on hold until Wednesday while the judge considers whether to reconsider splitting off alleged plot deputy Ramzi bin al Shibh’s trial from the other four.

Background

Ramzi Bin al Shibh, 42, is accused of helping the German cell of hijackers find flight schools and enter the United States as a 9/11 plot deputy to the alleged mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed. Bin al Shibh, a Yemeni, also allegedly aspired to be one of the hijackers and recorded a “martyr video,” but was four times denied a visa at U.S. embassies in Berlin and his native Sana’a, Yemen.

He is one of the most outspoken of the five accused Sept. 11 plotters. In December, the judge repeatedly ejected him from court for shouting that guards were keeping him awake at night in his cell through noises and vibration. His lawyers have filed a legal motion protesting the treatment.

Prosecutors have replied that the Yemeni is delusional but mentally competent for trial.

Bin al Shibh was the first of the alleged plotters captured, in a Pakistani intelligence services raid in Karachi that took place Sept. 10-11, 2002. He spent the next four years in the CIA’s secret prison network until his transfer to Guantánamo in September 2006, along with his four alleged co-conspirators.


crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

Questions of conflict of interest and an alleged 9/11 plotter’s competency to stand trial derailed a hearing Monday on whether to continue prosecuting all five alleged 9/11 conspirators, or to split off Ramzi Bin al Shibh’s case for a separate trial.

Last month, the judge severed the Yemeni’s case, citing delays caused by an ongoing conflict question that has arisen from a murky FBI investigation of Bin al Shibh’s defense team and a prosecution bid to find Bin al Shibh competent to face trial.

Case prosecutor Clayton Trivett asked the judge Monday to reverse himself and hold a five-man trial, citing additional trauma two trials might inflict on the families of the 2,976 victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

To which Jim Harrington, Bin al Shibh's death-penalty defender, replied that his side had yet to arrive at a position, noting that by war court rules they have until Wednesday afternoon to reply to it.

The judge, Army Col. James L. Pohl, recessed the session after 74 minutes until Wednesday afternoon.

But Harrington also presented a chicken-and-egg dilemma about what could come first for his client: Consideration of splitting off his case or the conflict-of-interest question that arose in April after an FBI agent secretly questioned a Bin al Shibh defense team member.

Harrington noted that his team lost four members since April over it. Now, he said, the Pentagon’s chief defense counsel had just last week assigned an independent counsel to bone up on the case and advise Bin al Shibh independently of his current defense team on the conflict-of-interest question.

Trivett, who wants Bin al Shibh tried with alleged mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed and the three other co-defendants, dismissed the issue as a stalling tactic. He told the judge the prosecution was walled off from involvement in the conflict question but could dispense with the competency issue by 2015.

“This is a capital case,” he told the judge, “and clearly capital defense counsel's goal, every day that their client is still living is a victory.”

Bin al Shibh, 41, watched the proceedings as the lone accused 9/11 plotter in the court. He offered none of the outbursts that have prompted Pohl to eject him from earlier pretrial hearings. He sat alongside his translator, speaking animatedly at the start of the hearing, with a woodland pattern hunting visit atop his traditional white attire.

The Yemeni usually sits in court behind Mohammed and another accused co-conspirator, Walid bin Attash. But for this occasion their seats were empty.

Under the judge’s tentative timetable the other four accused could be brought to court Thursday. Meantime, there was no war court hearing scheduled for Tuesday. This week’s pretrial hearings were scheduled for the week, with a Pentagon shuttle evacuating war court staff back to Washington D.C. Friday.

Miami Herald reporter Carol Rosenberg tweets @carolrosenberg

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category