Theme parks

Opening of delayed Busch Gardens ride still not scheduled

 
 
Testing is still being conducted on Falcon's Fury, a 335-foot drop tower that was originally scheduled to open May 1 at Busch Gardens.
Testing is still being conducted on Falcon's Fury, a 335-foot drop tower that was originally scheduled to open May 1 at Busch Gardens.
Marjie Lambert / Miami Herald Staff

mlambert@MiamiHerald.com

More than three months after its May 1 opening was canceled, Falcon’s Fury at Busch Gardens is still in the testing phase, its debut yet to be rescheduled, with nothing more specific than “late summer.”

Busch Gardens isn’t answering questions about the ride or the delay, but issued a statement saying that it has design elements that have never been attempted on a thrill ride. “Several technical challenges impacting the ride’s operating efficiency were discovered, and additional time is needed to resolve those challenges,” the statement said.

Earlier, Busch Gardens had said that the fabrication of key parts had been delayed, similarly citing first-of-their-kind elements.

At 335 feet, Falcon’s Fury will be the tallest freestanding drop tower in North America, according to Busch Gardens. As they rise, riders will sit in forward-facing seats connected in a ring around the tower. At the top, the seats will pivot so that riders are face down. Then the ride will drop them in a free fall that will hit 60 miles an hour before slowing.

The ride must undergo extensive testing, the ring of seats hauled up and dropped over and over hundreds — if not thousands — of times before the public can ride. “The safety of our guests and team members remains Busch Gardens’ top priority,” the statement said.

With the promised “late summer” opening, the ride will debut before Busch Gardens’ Halloween show, Howl-O-Scream, opens on Sept. 26, said Maria Pazmino, a park spokeswoman.

Read more Florida Travel stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK



  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category