Toronto Blue Jays (57-50) at Boston Red Sox (48-58), 7:10 p.m. (ET)

 

The Sports Network

(SportsNetwork.com) - The Toronto Blue Jays are leaning on a young arm during their chase for the American League East title.

The Blue Jays hope that Marcus Stroman's second career start versus the Boston Red Sox is as good as his first with the clubs set to resume a three-game series on Tuesday evening.

The 23-year-old Stroman has emerged as an anchor for Toronto's rotation, going 6-2 with a 3.21 earned run average on the season. He is 3-0 over his last six starts and has not allowed a run in back-to-back starts (14 innings) and in three of his last four outings.

Stroman came into his own in a big way last Thursday versus Boston, taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning before Shane Victorino led off the frame with a bloop single. It was the only hit the right-hander allowed as he got David Ortiz to fly out before Mike Napoli hit into a double play to end the inning and Stroman's outing.

"We know he's got what it takes. He pitched a hell of a game today," said Toronto catcher Dioner Navarro.

Stroman also walked two and struck out seven in the 8-0 win.

"He's pitching like a veteran who's been around a long time and he's been very successful. He shuts down good hitting teams. He's a great competitor," said Jays manager John Gibbons.

Rubby De La Rosa had the unfortunate task of going up against Stroman last week and will try to keep a better pace with the Jays hurler tonight.

The 25-year-old righty had his worst start in eight outings this season, lasting four-plus innings and giving up seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits and two walks. He fell to 3-3 with a 3.54 ERA on the year.

De La Rosa was facing the Blue Jays as a starter for the first time following two previous relief appearances.

The Red Sox will hope for a better effort on the mound tonight after the Blue Jays slugged their way to a 14-1 victory on Monday. Melky Cabrera hit a pair of homers, including a three-run shot during a nine-run sixth inning.

Cabrera also launched a two-run blast and Ryan Goins went 4-for-5 with four RBI for the Blue Jays, who have won eight of their last 10 games and are 2 1/2 games out of first place in the AL East.

R.A. Dickey struck out 10 and allowed a run on three hits and a walk over seven innings to notch the win.

Clay Buchholz surrendered seven runs on seven hits and four walks over five- plus frames for Boston, which has dropped six of its last seven games.

"It was an ugly night from the mound," said Red Sox manager John Farrell.

Toronto has won eight of 11 against the Red Sox this season, sweeping a three- game set in Boston from May 20-22.

Read more Baseball Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category