Seahawks WR Rice announces retirement

 

The Sports Network

Renton, WA (SportsNetwork.com) - Seattle Seahawks wideout Sidney Rice announced his retirement on Wednesday, after seven injury-plagued NFL seasons.

Rice had been cut by the club back in February as a salary-cap measure, before being re-signed in April.

"After careful consideration and seven wonderful years playing in the National Football League, including the last three for the Seattle Seahawks, I have decided to retire from playing in the National Football League," Rice mused in a statement. "I have enjoyed my experiences with all of my coaches, teammates and passionate Seahawks fans. I take great pride in knowing I was one of the players signed to help build the foundation of the team that ultimately won the Super Bowl. I'll be joining the 12s in support of the Seattle Seahawks as they take on the challenge to repeat."

The 27-year-old finished the 2013 campaign on season-ending injured reserve thanks to a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered in an October 28 win over the St. Louis Rams. The seventh-year pro totaled 15 receptions for 231 yards and three touchdowns in eight games.

Rice also saw the 2011 campaign -- his first with Seattle -- end with a stint on IR thanks to a concussion.

"The entire organization would like to thank Sidney for his leadership over the past three seasons," said club GM John Schneider. "His time as a Seahawks player displayed the core values that Pete and I aimed to bring to the program and Sidney is a true champion. We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors."

Rice, taken by the Vikings in the second round of the 2007 draft out of South Carolina, ends his career having compiled 243 catches, 3,592 yards and 30 touchdowns over 81 games (57 starts). He accumulated 97 receptions, 1,463 yards and 12 TDs in three seasons with the Seahawks.

With Minnesota in 2009, Rice participated in all 16 games and posted career- highs in receptions (83), yards gained (1,312) and scores (8).

Read more Football Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith (11) and Jamaal Charles (25) warm up prior to an NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014, in Denver.

    Chiefs down 7 starters to injuries, suspensions

    By the time the Kansas City Chiefs failed to get into the end zone on fourth down, trailing by a touchdown in Denver, they weren't just on the brink of another loss.

  • Parkey's FG lifts Eagles over Colts, 30-27

    INDIANAPOLIS - Cody Parkey walked onto the field after Chip Kelly called a timeout with three seconds remaining. The Eagles had not led over the Indianapolis Colts on Monday night since early in the first quarter, and Kelly relied on his rookie kicker to seal the Eagles' second second-half comeback in as many weeks.

  • Senator ties NFL tax status to Redskins name

    A U.S. senator says she will introduce a bill to eliminate the NFL's tax-exempt status because the league has not taken action over the Washington Redskins name.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category