Israel’s Bedouin defenseless against Hamas rockets

 

McClatchy Washington Bureau

When a rocket from Gaza slammed into the community of Kaser A-Ser on Saturday, Auda al-Wadj, 32, had no defense. Like 100,000 Bedouin citizens of Israel, al-Wadj lived in a shantytown of tin shacks, with no bomb shelters. He died; four family members were hospitalized.

Israel’s High Court of Justice ruled Sunday that the state is not obligated to provide bomb shelters to the Bedouin. The decision was in response to an appeal filed Thursday by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel.

“The blanket of protection is too short to cover every area in range of rockets,” the court’s judges, Yoram Danziger, Zvi Zylbertal and Noam Sohlberg, wrote in their decision. “Pulling the blanket to one area will expose another area.”

Israel is home to about 200,000 Bedouin, former nomads who have long settled in permanent communities. Half of the Bedouin live in townships the state established in recent decades. The other half live in villages scattered throughout the Negev desert.

They claim they are living on ancestral land; the state sees them as squatters. The Israeli government has attempted and failed to resolve the land claims several times over recent years. Out of 46 villages, 35 are “unrecognized” by the government.

The result is that the Bedouins in unrecognized villages live on the edge of legality. Their homes are often served with demolition orders for illegal construction. Many unrecognized villages lack basics like electricity, health services and schools.

During war, these deficiencies are glaring. Every time Omar Al Wakili hears the siren alerting of incoming rockets, he panics. He lives in Awajan, a cluster of tin shacks that house about 2,000 people south of the town of Lakiya in the desert. Last week, he said, he could hear the siren of the neighboring Jewish community, Omer, at about 5.30 pm.

“We listened carefully. And there was a rocket that fell between two houses here, near the dairy,” Al Wakili said by phone. “And then we heard the voices of kids crying and screaming.

I went to the area to see what was going on. And my brother told me his two daughters were injured, and he brought them to the hospital.”

Shrapnel lodged in the bodies of the girls, age 11 and 13. They survived but underwent surgery to remove the pieces of metal. Since then, Al Wakili said his 12 children beg him not to leave the house for work in the center of the country. Without any concrete shelter, when rockets come in he just tells his children to lie on the ground with their hands over their heads.

During the current fighting with Hamas, the Iron Dome anti-missile system has provided protection to millions of Israelis. The system intercepts incoming rockets mid-air and has claimed as high as 90 percent success rate in populated areas.

However, the system is designed to intercept only those rockets hurtling toward urban areas. Attorney Nisreen Alayan, who represented the Bedouins in court, charged that because the unrecognized Bedouin villages do not appear on planning maps, they were excluded from the missile defense system. The court’s judges responded that they did not have enough information to verify or reject that claim.

Alayan said in court Thursday, “So far, the state has presented no solution to the Bedouins. They feel that the state goes out of its way to provide solutions to other citizens in the area, forsaking the Arab Bedouins in the Negev. This is unacceptable negligence on the part of the state.”

Hamas has hit deeper into Israeli territory during this operation than ever before. Israeli army spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner told McClatchy that the military organization has stockpiles of more than 10,000 rockets and missiles, including some with a 200-km (125 mi) range. These rockets have hit the Israeli cities of Tel Aviv and Haifa. They have also hit towns in the West Bank. On Friday, June 12, a rocket barreled into the ground outside a home in the village of Sair, near Hebron, shattering the house’s windows. Earlier that day, Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum addressed Arabs in areas targeted by Hamas.

“Our rockets will not touch you,” Barhoum said on Hamas-run television. “We know the geography. Our rockets will not hit one Arab Palestinian child. Our rockets are aimed at the Israelis.”

Bedouin villages are not the only areas that lack protection. Association for Civil Rights in Israel spokeswoman Nirit Moskovich said certain neighborhoods of Beer Sheva, a mostly Jewish city, also have inadequate shelters. However, “even with the worst protection, at least they have normal buildings that are not tin shacks,” she said.

Although the High Court rejected the petition for concrete bomb shelters to be placed immediately in Bedouin communities, the judges called on the Ministry of Defense and the regional councils where the Bedouins live to respond to the demands for better shelter within 30 days.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Brazil removed from UN World Hunger Map

    Brazil has hailed a new United Nations report that for the first time removed Latin America's biggest country from the World Hunger Map.

  •  
Trash and debris are strewn about in the small community of Nanmen outside Shanghai while factories rise up in the distance. (Brittany Horn/Penn State University/MCT)

    Chinese increasingly protest projects that threaten environment

    China is a country with gargantuan environmental problems, deep distrust of government and a population that is increasingly wired through mobile devices. Put that together and it’s no surprise that large street protests are breaking out against waste incinerators, chemical plants and other industrial projects.

  • Ban: UN 'taking lead' on global fight of Ebola

    The head of the United Nations said Tuesday that the world body is "taking the lead now" on international efforts to fight the Ebola outbreak in West Africa that has killed some 2,400 people and could spread further.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category