Marlins Notebook

Miami Marlins place pitcher Kevin Gregg on 15-day disabled list

 

cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

Outside of Casey McGehee, it hasn’t been a good year for the Marlins in terms of their reclamation projects, with Rafael Furcal and Randy Wolf serving as two prime examples of once-solid players who haven’t panned out.

Kevin Gregg can’t be included on that list yet.

But after a series of rough relief performances leading into the All-Star break, the Marlins on Friday placed the 36-year-old hurler on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation.

Gregg said he had been experiencing elbow soreness for a “few weeks.”

“It wasn’t progressing the way I wanted it to and, at this point, it was time to say, ‘Hey, am I hurting myself or am I hurting the team?’ ” Gregg said. “Am I giving Red [manager Mike Redmond] a fighting chance to be down there this way, or do I need to get better? I need to get better because what I’m doing isn’t fair to them.”

Gregg gave up three runs and failed to retire a batter in New York on Sunday and had given up two or more runs in three of his previous five outings.

“You could see one day it wasn’t bothering me and I pitched great, and then the next day I didn’t know what I was going to get. It was a 50-50 shot,” he said.

Gregg’s DL date is retroactive to July 14 and he said he is scheduled to begin throwing again Saturday to see how his arm feels.

Taking Gregg’s spot is A.J. Ramos, who was activated from the disabled list after being out with right shoulder inflammation.

TURNER TO STARTS

Jacob Turner, who last started on June 11 before being banished to the bullpen, is rejoining the rotation Tuesday when he takes the mound in Atlanta. Redmond announced the decision Friday.

Turner lost his spot in the rotation after going 2-4 with a 6.38 ERA as a starter. Since he is out of options and couldn’t be sent to the minors without first clearing waivers, the Marlins kept him in safe storage by giving him a bullpen job.

After demoting Andrew Heaney to Triple A New Orleans on July 5, the Marlins were able to get to the All-Star break with only four starters because of an off-day.

BRAVES CUT UGGLA

Once he clears waivers and becomes a free agent, don’t look for the Marlins to take a run at Dan Uggla, who was released Friday by the Braves. Though the Marlins have indicated they would like to upgrade at second base, their preference would be for someone with speed.

Uggla’s offensive numbers have plummeted dramatically, and he lost his starting job in Atlanta. The Braves are on the hook for the $18 million still owed to him through 2015, and any acquiring team would have to pay him only the major league minimum.

Uggla is 36.

COMING UP

•  Saturday: Marlins RHP Henderson Alvarez (6-4, 2.63) vs. San Francisco Giants RHP Tim Hudson (7-6, 2.87), 7:10 p.m., Marlins Park.

•  Sunday: Marlins LHP Brad Hand (0-2, 5.26) vs. Giants RHP Tim Lincecum (9-5, 3.66), 1:10 p.m., Marlins Park.

Read more Miami Marlins stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category