Rosberg signs multi-year contract extension with Mercedes

 

The Sports Network

London, England (SportsNetwork.com) - Mercedes confirmed on Wednesday that driver Nico Rosberg has signed a multi-year contract extension with the team in Formula One.

Rosberg, a 29-year-old German, has been with Mercedes since the start of the 2010 season. All six of his grand prix wins and eight pole positions in F1 have come with the team. Rosberg is the current leader in the world championship point standings. He has scored three victories and four poles this season.

"As a German, the heritage of Mercedes-Benz is very special for me, and I am proud to be able to represent the best car brand around the world," Rosberg said in a team statement. "It has been a difficult road to get to where we are now, but everybody kept believing. And thanks to the fantastic support from Mercedes-Benz, we are now leading the way in F1.

"There has been big progress during the past year, building up our structure, management and capability for the future. We have an awesome team, and I am confident that we have the right people in place at every level. I'm looking forward to the next years together, when we will keep pushing to win even more races and hopefully championships."

Rosberg's contract extension comes before his home grand prix in Germany this weekend. Sunday's 67-lap German Grand Prix is being held in Hockenheim. Rosberg enters this race with just a four-point advantage over second-place and teammate Lewis Hamilton, who won the British Grand Prix last week.

"With his performances in 2014, Nico has demonstrated to the outside world what we knew already in the team - that he is one of the very top drivers in Formula One," Toto Wolff, head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, said. "This new contract brings us important stability and continuity for the future and I am delighted to be able to make the announcement in time for the home race of Mercedes-Benz and Nico in Hockenheim."

Read more Open Wheel stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category