Seahawks' Wagner says Broncos 'looked scared'

 

The Seattle Times

Seattle Seahawks middle linebacker Bobby Wagner delivered another shot on the Denver Broncos, saying Tuesday they "looked scared" during Seattle's 43-8 victory in the Super Bowl.

Wagner's comments came on ESPN's "Take Two" in an interview with Stephen A. Smith.

"Nobody wanted to catch the ball," Wagner said. "Nobody wanted to come up the middle."

Wagner referred to the early hit by Kam Chancellor on Demaryius Thomas and said from that point on, the game turned.

"If you look at the previous games, (Denver) got a lot of balls across the middle," Wagner said. "That first hit (Thomas) came across the middle and (Chancellor) smacked him. You didn't really see too many balls caught across the middle (after that). They were very timid. That says a lot about our defense."

Wagner that "when you go out against our defense, you really have to have your head on a swivel . . . everybody is coming after your head."

Wagner noted that the result was similar to Seattle's 40-10 exhibition win over the Broncos. "Doesn't matter who is on the field, if it's the starters or the backups, our team is good," he said.

Denver nose tackle Terrance Knighton responded on his Twitter account: "I welcome all the Seahawks players and fans to dwell on last year. We reloading and we ready for war."

Seahawk Bruce Irvin answered with this tweet: "They damn near got a 50 Piece put on them. That's very relevant lol."

The Seahawks open their exhibition schedule Aug. 7 at Denver, then meet the Broncos again in Week 3 of the regular season, in Seattle on Sept. 21.

Wagner was also asked about losing some defensive linemen/pass rushers and whether that would hurt the Seahawks this season. Wagner instead said Seattle "got way better this year because we are all so young. We are all still growing."

And asked about now being the hunted, Wagner said he wasn't worried.

"We've got bullets, too," he said.

Read more Football Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category