Colombia: Oil spill by rebels not as bad as feared

 

The Associated Press

Colombian officials say an oil spill caused by rebels in the country's southwest may not have been as big as originally thought nor has it caused significant environmental damage.

Army commander Gen. Jaime Lasprilla says oil did not get into the Guamuez River after the incident last week in the Puerto Asis municipality, about 515 miles (830 kilometers) southwest of Bogota. Some creeks were contaminated.

Guerrillas of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia stopped 19 tanker trucks and forced the drivers to dump an estimated 4,000 barrels of crude oil. Officials initially feared that water services for 100,000 people might be affected.

During a tour Tuesday, journalists found that most of the affected area had been cleaned up.

Read more Americas Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Aruba to hold Venezuelan official seeking immunity

    A judge in Aruba ruled Friday that the highest-ranking Venezuelan official ever arrested on a U.S. warrant must remain behind bars pending an extradition request on drug-trafficking charges, prompting Venezuela to cancel flights to the Dutch Caribbean island in retaliation.

  •  
FILE - In this July 17, 2014, file photo, a storage room is piled high with trash and broken appliances at The Great Family group home in Zamora, Michoacan State, Mexico. After a police raid on the refuse-strewn group home Tuesday, residents of the shelter told authorities that some employees beat and raped residents, fed them rotting food or locked them in a tiny "punishment" room. Shelter residents were still being kept at the home while officials look for places to transfer them.

    6 to stand trial in group home case in Mexico

    A Mexican judge has ordered six employees of a group home raided amid charges of abuse and filthy conditions to stand trial, federal prosecutors said Thursday.

  •  
Suspects, Juan Jose Torres, second left from police officer, Ernesto Salgado, third left, and Gregorio Torres, in red shirt, are presented before a judge as they stand accused of taking part in the weekend attacks on two buses carrying supporters of Nicaragua's governing Sandinista party in Matagalpa, Nicaragua, Thursday, July 24, 2014. The three men have been charged with murder and organized crime in the attacks that left five people dead and 28 wounded, the country's top prosecutor said Thursday.

    3 charged in Nicaragua bus attacks that killed 5

    Three men have been charged with murder and organized crime in the weekend attacks on two buses carrying supporters of Nicaragua's governing party that left five people dead and 28 wounded, the country's top prosecutor said Thursday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category