5th Czech soldier dies after blast in Afghanistan

 

The Associated Press

The Czech Defense Ministry says a soldier who was seriously injured in a blast that killed four other Czech servicemen in Afghanistan last week has died.

The soldiers were among the 16 people killed on Tuesday after a suicide bomber struck Afghan and foreign forces in the eastern province of Parwan.

In a brief statement, the ministry says the fifth soldier died Monday in Prague's military hospital, a day after he was transported home from Afghanistan.

It is the largest number of Czechs killed in a single attack in Afghanistan.

The Czech government has pledged to keep troops in Afghanistan.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category