AG: 'Big Oil' lawsuit supporter's term is over

 

Associated Press

Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell says a south Louisiana flood board member who supports the board's environmental lawsuit against the oil and gas industry has reached the end of his term. That means Gov. Bobby Jindal may soon have another weapon as he and the industry work to kill the lawsuit.

Caldwell's opinion is that the term of Paul Kemp on the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East ended July 1. That would mean Jindal could replace Kemp quickly and tip the balance on the nine-member board to five lawsuit opponents and four supporters.

The opinion released Friday was issued to help clear up contradictions in administrative records. The flood board has records indicating Kemp's term expires next year. An independent nominating committee's records indicated Kemp's term ended this year.

Nominating committee chairman Jay Lapeyre said his panel's next meeting is Aug. 28. Jindal could have a chance to replace Kemp by fall.

Jindal has been replacing lawsuit supporters on the board as vacancies have occurred. At last month's SLPFA-E meeting, a move to kill the lawsuit failed in a 4-4 tie vote with one lawsuit supporter absent.

Caldwell's opinion, sought by the nominating committee, dealt with the terms of Kemp and Jeff Angers on the SLPFA-East and Kerwin Julian Sr. and Paul Dauphin on the SLPFA-West. Confusion and complications had arisen in part because the nominating committee and Jindal had made nominations and appointments long after vacancies had occurred. Flood authority business was not disrupted because members whose terms expire customarily remain on the job until a replacement is made.

The lawsuit, now in federal court, claims drilling and dredging by oil, gas and pipeline companies are partly to blame for degradation of coastal wetlands that serve as a natural hurricane buffer for New Orleans. It drew instant, vehement condemnation from Jindal, industry supporters in government and the industry itself.

Jindal supported and signed legislation designed to retroactively kill the lawsuit, which lawsuit supporters say will be challenged.

A decision by the board to kill its own suit could be costly. Its contract to hire outside lawyers would give them significant percentages of the damage claims if they win; nothing, if they lose. But it also includes a "poison pill" provision requiring that they be paid for the work they have done if the suit is withdrawn.

Last month, those costs were estimated to fall within a broad range by board members — anywhere from about $3 million to well over $11 million.

Caldwell's opinion states that the terms of Kemp and Angers, a lawsuit opponent, both ended July 1. On the SLFPA-West, which is not involved in the lawsuit, Julien's term expired July 1 and Dauphin's last year. Caldwell acknowledged that his opinion is not law and could be challenged in court, but there was no indication Friday that anyone planned a challenge.

Read more Breaking News - Business stories from the Miami Herald

  • Wednesday Sports In Brief

    Poland's Rafal Majka led a late breakaway on the last of four tough climbs in the Pyrenees to win the 17th stage of the Tour de France on Wednesday, as Vincenzo Nibali took another step toward overall victory.

  •  
This undated photo provided by Hermes shows France's Nadege Vanhee-Cybulski, who was named has named French luxury powerhouse Hermes' new womenswear designer, to replace outgoing Christophe Lemaire. She was previously women’s design director at Ashley Olsen and Mary-Kate Olsen’s The Row, and has worked in important behind-the-scenes roles at Martin Margiela and Celine in Paris.

    Hermes names new womenswear designer

    French luxury powerhouse Hermes has named Nadege Vanhee-Cybulski as its new womenswear designer.

  • AmerisourceBergen reports 3Q loss

    After landing some major partnerships, the drug distributor AmerisourceBergen reported that its revenue spiked 39 percent and shares hit an all-time high.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category