Stevens to have knee replacement surgery

 

The Sports Network

Arcadia, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens will undergo knee replacement surgery and has stopped riding for the foreseeable future.

Stevens announced on HRTV Thursday that he has stopped riding immediately to have the procedure and plans to return to racing after rehabilitation.

"My knee has thrown in the 'white flag,'" Stevens said during an interview on HRTV's "Grandstand" show. "I rode last weekend in New York, and then at Monmouth Park, and on the flight back (my knee) was aggravated pretty good. I had a little procedure done on Monday, and my knee didn't react well to it."

The 51-year-old jockey has had problems with his knees previously, which forced him to retire for seven years from 2005 to 2013. He returned to riding full-time just before his 50th birthday in January 2013. Knee problems also forced Stevens to take time off in 1999-2000.

"Well, I've said since the time of my comeback that there was going to be a day that would come that I needed to give my knee a rest, and that day has come," the jockey noted.

Stevens has been told that the typical length of rehab is six months.

"They said the one thing I have going for me is (that) I'm a fit, fit human being right now," Stevens said during the interview. "They're not really used to seeing this type of person come in for a knee replacement. They said that's going to be a big benefit to me. It should shorten things up a little bit."

Last year, Stevens won the Preakness Stakes with Oxbow and the Breeders' Cup Classic aboard Mucho Macho Man. He has 4,988 wins and $236,951,490 in career earnings.

Read more Horse Racing stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category