Director of the National Counterterrorism Center retires

 

McClatchy Washington Bureau

Matt Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, has retired, President Barack Obama announced Wednesday.

“Most Americans may not know Matt Olsen’s name, but every American is safer because of his service,” President Barack Obama said in a statement. Obama said Olsen was “absolutely critical to our success in disrupting terrorist cells, thwarting attacks and protecting the American people from evolving threats at home and abroad.”

Olsen, a former prosecutor who worked in various roles at the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, was the head of the Guantánamo Review Task Force, a commission set up to oversee the legal justifications of the detainees at the U.S. Navy base in Cuba. He later briefly served as associate deputy attorney general and as the general counsel of the National Security Agency.

Obama nominated Olsen to become the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, in 2011.

James Clapper, director of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, said Olsen “developed a skilled, interagency workforce, arming it with the information and tools it needed to warn against terrorist attacks and to provide U.S. decision makers the intelligence they needed to counter this threat.”

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., noted in a statement Thursday that during Olsen's stewardship of the center "there have been no successful attacks against the United States homeland by foreign terrorists. This is an impressive accomplishment in an increasingly dangerous world."

She also said his "painstaking work" on the Guantánamo Review Task Force, from 2009 to 2010, "continues to guide our efforts to close the detention facility."

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Applications for US jobless benefits fall sharply

    The number of people applying for U.S. unemployment benefits dropped by a sharp 36,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 280,000, a sign that the job market is strengthening.

  •  
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain arrives at Marina Bay City Circuit for the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix, Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014. The F1 race is scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 21.

    F1 enters radio silence era in Singapore

    As the Formula One season exits Europe and heads to Asia for this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix, teams and drivers are preparing for a new challenge, with the sport now banning a large amount of radio messages during races.

  • Judge's ruling will allow Foley's name on ballot

    A judge has dismissed a legal challenge to the placement of Mike Foley's name on the November ballot as the Republican candidate for lieutenant governor.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category