Report: Anthony to opt out of deal with Knicks

 

The Sports Network

(SportsNetwork.com) - Carmelo Anthony had previously said he planned to opt out of his contract with the New York Knicks and reportedly will do just that on Monday.

Anthony has a June 23 deadline to make that decision and Yahoo Sports cited a source in a report Sunday that said the seven-time All-Star will notify the Knicks of his intention to exercise that right and become a free agent.

The 30-year-old veteran, in past comments, said he wouldn't rule out a return to the Knicks, adding that he just wanted to test the market.

Teams reportedly interested in Anthony include the Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets.

The Knicks, however, can offer Anthony the most money and longest contract. New Knicks president Phil Jackson, however, has indicated that he would like Anthony to take less money in an effort to rebuild a team that missed the playoffs in 2013-14.

Anthony averaged 27.4 points, a career-high 8.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 77 games for the Knicks this past season. He sat out the final two games with a shoulder injury once the Knicks were eliminated from postseason contention.

In three-plus seasons since joining the Knicks in a February 2011 trade from Denver, Anthony has averaged 26.5 points, 7.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists.

The Syracuse product has career averages of 25.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 790 games with the Nuggets and Knicks.

Read more Basketball Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Man charged in fraud against 3 ex-Heat players

    A man already imprisoned on a real estate fraud conviction has been charged in Florida with a multi-million dollar investment scam involving three former Miami Heat players and the team itself.

  • Inmate charged in fraud against 3 ex-Heat players

    A man already in prison on a real estate fraud conviction has been charged in Florida with a multi-million-dollar investment scam involving three former Miami Heat players and the team itself.

  • Clippers waive Delfino and Raduljica

    The Clippers waived guard-forward Carlos Delfino and center Miroslav Raduljica three days after they were acquired.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category