Haiti

U.N. head served in Haiti cholera lawsuit

 
 
U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon speaks during a news conference at United Nations headquarters, prior to the opening of the 68th session of the U.N. General Assembly, Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013.
U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon speaks during a news conference at United Nations headquarters, prior to the opening of the 68th session of the U.N. General Assembly, Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013.
Richard Drew / AP

jcharles@miamiherald.com

The law firm representing hundreds of Haitian cholera victims in a complaint against the U.N. said it served Secretary General Ban Ki-moon with the lawsuit as he entered an event in New York City early Friday.

Representatives for Ban, however, deny that he was served.

Stan Alpert, one of the attorneys for the 1,500 plaintiffs in the lawsuit filed in March at a federal court in Brooklyn, said a professional process server placed the documents in Ban’s hand as he walked into the Asia Society in midtown Manhattan to give a speech on violence in Syria. A security guard quickly slapped the lawsuit out of Ban’s hand and, as the secretary general walked inside, Alpert said another security guard picked up the papers and walked in after Ban.

It’s the first time the firm or any attorney representing Haitian cholera victims and their families, has been able to get close enough to a high-ranking U.N. official, after months of attempts, to handover a complaint.

The lawsuit filed by Alpert and his colleagues is one of several legal cases seeking to get the U.N. to take responsibility for a deadly cholera epidemic in Haiti, which some studies show was brought by U.N. peacekeeping troops months after the country’s devastating January 2010 earthquake. The outbreak has killed more than 9,000 Haitians and sickened 700,000.

“We’d attempted several methods, but we never had the opportunity to serve the lawsuit until today,” Alpert told the Miami Herald. “They hide behind the wall of their fortress and their security guards.”

Farhan Haq, the U.N. deputy spokesman, told the Herald he was standing behind Ban during the alleged encounter and that Ban did not take the papers.

“No one at the U.N. took the papers,” Haq wrote in an email.

Cholera victims have had a difficult time getting their case to move forward. The U.N. has invoked immunity and earlier this year, the U.S. State Department asked a New York court to grant the U.N. immunity from legal action brought by a Boston-based group representing five named plaintiffs.

Still, pressure has been mounting on Ban, who plans to visit Haiti next month, and the global body to respond more justly. On May 15, the National Capital Area Chapter of the United Nations Association USA, which is highly supportive of the organization, approved a resolution urging the UN to do better on the cholera issue. That same month, the High-Level Committee for the Elimination of Cholera in Haiti met for the first time.

The committee was established by Haiti and Ban, who in December 2012 launched a $2.2 billion appeal to help Haiti and the neighboring Dominican Republic stamp out the waterborne disease.

Morrison, a Miami Herald special correspondent, reported from the United Nations and Charles from Miami.

Read more Haiti stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
President of the Haitian Senate Simon Desras.

    Haiti

    U.S. lawmakers to Haiti Senate: Vote for election law

    A bipartisan group of U.S. lawmakers have written to Haitian Senate President Simon Desras calling on Haitian senators to pass the legislation necessary for long overdue elections to take place this year.

  •  
A supporter of Haiti's former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide holds up a picture of him, while demonstrating in front of his house during a protest in his support, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014. Supporters of the former president have been blocking the street in front of his house as the popular former leader faces possible arrest for not providing court-ordered testimony in a criminal investigation.

    Haiti

    Despite election delays, Aristide remains focus

    Defying a judge’s order, opposition leaders in Haiti plan to visit former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who was put under house arrest last week as part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

  •  
Haiti's first lady Sophia Martelly, right, talks with Health Minister Florence Duperval Guillaume in a warehouse housing a donation of kits to treat chikungunya, in the Cite Soleil slum, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2014. The U.S. medical group Direct Relief donated millions of kits to treat the mosquito-borne virus that has sickened tens of thousands across the Caribbean over the past year.

    Haiti gets help for mosquito-borne virus outbreak

    Haiti has received a large shipment of treatment packets to help it deal with an outbreak of the mosquito-borne virus known as chikungunya amid a rainy season expected to result in a surge of new cases in the country, officials said Wednesday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category