UN: Iraqis displaced by latest fighting add to worst refugee crisis since WW2

 

Iraq Watch

The latest news from Iraq. For more Iraq coverage, visit McClatchyDC


McClatchy Washington Bureau

The deteriorating situation in Mosul and other areas of northern Iraq has forced half a million people from their homes in recent days, adding to a record number of refugees whose lives were uprooted by violence over the past year.

The U.N. refugee agency said on Friday that more than 51 million people were forcibly displaced in 2013, the largest number since the end of World War II. Half of the refugees were children.

The increase has been driven primarily by refugees from the ongoing war in Syria, but the growing crisis in Iraq now is pushing the grim toll even higher, U.N. officials said.

The half a million refugees who are fleeing into Kurdistan from Mosul and other northern cities following a takeover by the radical militant group, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, join another half a million Iraqis who already had been displaced by fighting in Anbar province earlier this year.

U.N. agencies and their partners are setting up tents in Irbil, Dohuk and Suleimaniya in Kurdistan “to accommodate the growing influx of displaced families,” said Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the U.N. Secretary General.

“Many need water and sanitation support, immunization against polio and measles, and protection services,” he said. “The agency has also warned that increasing risks of ethnic violence and the threat to Baghdad ... can make the situation worse as the scale of needs and complexity to the crisis grows.”

Cargo planes carrying emergency supplies_including tents, blankets and schools-in-a-box_arrived in Irbil this week, Dujarric said, and the World Food Programme has started emergency food distribution to 43,500 of the most vulnerable refugees.

UNICEF and the WHO are coordinating with Kurdish health authorities to carry out a mass vaccination campaign to halt the spread of polio and other diseases among displaced children, he said.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this photo taken on Sunday, July 27, 2014,  a boy, center,  selling soft drinks walk past a  clinic taking care of Ebola patients in the Kenema District on the outskirts of Kenema, Sierra Leone.  Liberia President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has closed some border crossings and ordered strict quarantines of communities affected by the Ebola outbreak. The announcement late Sunday came a day after Sirleaf formed a new taskforce charged with containing the disease, which has killed 129 people in the country and more than 670 across the region.

    New fears about Ebola spread after plane scare

    No one knows for sure just how many people Patrick Sawyer came into contact with the day he boarded a plane in Liberia, had a layover in Togo and then arrived in Nigeria where authorities say he died days later from Ebola, one of the world's deadliest diseases.

  •  
Soldiers from the 369th infantry regiment work in a trench in World War I.

    100 years ago, World War I, the Great War, unleashed chaos that still reverberates

    Disaster struck the world 100 years ago this week, leading to millions of deaths, wrecking cities, ripping old nations apart and creating new ones, overturning empires and the monarchs that led them, sweeping away traditional customs and values, and changing the world in ways that still affect us today. But why should we care about something that happened a century ago?

  •  
Journalists photograph Argentina's Finance Secretary Pablo Lopez in his car as he leaves a debt negotiation session in New York on Thursday, July 24, 2014. On Tuesday, a federal judge ordered around-the-clock negotiations aimed at averting a second debt default by Argentina in 13 years. Argentina's president said Wednesday that her country will not go into default because it has been paying debts to bondholders on time.

    Argentina in last-ditch effort to avert default

    Argentina's government said Monday it will make another effort to reach a deal with US. creditors ahead of a looming deadline that risks sending the country into its second default in 13 years.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category