Palestinian president pledges to help Israel find missing teens

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

In a blistering attack on those suspected of seizing three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank last week, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said Wednesday that they want “to destroy us,” and he pledged continued cooperation with Israeli security forces in the effort to track them down.

The blunt remarks at a meeting of foreign ministers from Arab and other Muslim nations in Saudi Arabia were Abbas’ first comments on the suspected abduction, and they reflected a readiness to aggressively confront the militants thought to have kidnapped the teens.

Though there’s been no credible claim of responsibility, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has alleged that members of the militant Islamist group Hamas kidnapped the teens, and he’s dispatched hundreds of troops to the West Bank in a sweeping crackdown on the group.

In an emergency call to the Israeli police on the night of the incident, one of the teenagers whispered that he was being kidnapped, but the call, which was unclear and abruptly cut off, was dismissed as a prank after a return call went unanswered, law enforcement officials have confirmed. On Wednesday a recording of the conversation was made available to the families of the youths, and the Israeli police chief appointed a team to investigate the response.

Accused by Hamas of collaborating with the Israelis, Abbas defiantly defended the cooperation of his forces in the search for the missing youths. The three seminary students, who studied in West Bank settlements, disappeared Thursday night as they hitchhiked home, setting off a massive search by Israeli security forces.

“We are coordinating with them in order to find these youngsters, because in the end they are human beings, and we want to protect human lives,” Abbas told foreign ministers at a meeting of the Organization of the Islamic Conference in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. His remarks were broadcast live on Palestinian television.

Abbas said U.S. officials had notified the Palestinian Authority that one of the teenagers was an American citizen. “We told them: ‘American or Israeli, as far as we’re concerned he is a human being and we must search for this person and return him to his family,’ ” he said. “We will search until we find him, and then whoever carried out this action.”

Naftali Fraenkel, 16, one of the missing teenagers, has dual Israeli and U.S. citizenship. The other two have been identified as Gil-Ad Shaer, 16, and Eyal Yifrah, 19.

“The truth is that whoever carried out this action wants to destroy us,” Abbas said. “That is why we will speak to him differently and take a different position toward him, whoever it is . . . because we cannot tolerate such acts.”

“The government believes in security coordination between us and Israel,” Abbas added. “Of course, there are those who rebuke and accuse us regarding the security cooperation, but it is in our interest . . . to have security coordination with the Israelis in order to defend ourselves, in order to protect our people: We do not want to go back to the chaos and destruction of the second (Palestinian) uprising. We will not go back to an uprising that will destroy us.”

Hamas, which has welcomed the suspected abduction and accused Abbas of betrayal, denounced his remarks. Salah al Bardawil, a Hamas spokesman in Gaza, said Abbas’ statements were “similar to the statements of the Israeli army spokesman.”

The rising tension between Hamas and Abbas, weeks after his Fatah movement reached a reconciliation accord with the Islamist group, might threaten a newly formed Palestinian unity government backed by both factions.

Abbas is also facing popular support for the apparent kidnapping, widely seen by Palestinians as an acceptable means to compel Israel to release prisoners from its jails. In photos posted on social media, smiling Palestinians, including children, hold up three fingers, celebrating the suspected seizure of the three young Israelis.

Netanyahu’s office gave Abbas’ remarks a frosty reception, saying his words “will be tested by the efforts exerted by the Palestinian Authority to return the kidnapped youths home safely.”

“The real test will be canceling the agreement with Hamas,” the prime minister’s office added.

The army said Wednesday that it had arrested another 65 Palestinians in what have become nightly raids, including 53 who’d been released in a 2011 exchange in which more 1,000 Palestinian prisoners were freed in return for Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier held by Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

Netanyahu said “dozens of Hamas terrorists” had been “returned to jail.” More than 250 Palestinians, most of them Hamas activists and political leaders, have been arrested so far in the sweeps, which have also targeted charities and social institutions linked to the group, the army said.

“We are in the midst of an extensive operation,” Netanyahu said. “We are fighting terrorism with force, and Hamas will continue to pay a heavy price.”

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story misspelled the last name of Eyal Yifrah, one of the missing teenagers.

Greenberg is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this Aug. 24, 2014 photo, Twry Pataxo, center, a member of the 11,000-strong Pataxo tribe, holds a ceremony at her home in the Mare slum in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Twry organizes monthly meetings at her two-room cinderblock home for indigenous people from the Mare and beyond. They close their meetings with chants, dances and a prayer.

    Brazil's indigenous seek out city, end up in slums

    They huddle in a tight circle, shaking seed-filled maracas and shuffling in time to a rhythm that has pulsed through their tribes for generations. The dancers raise their voices in song, conjuring an ancient spirit that vibrates above the traffic roaring from a nearby expressway and the beat of funk music blasting from a neighbor's loudspeaker.

  •  
Tourists sit on the concrete stairs in the service area of a resort after the designated area for shelter was destroyed by winds in Los Cabos, Mexico,  Monday, Sept. 15, 2014. Hurricane Odile raked the Baja California Peninsula with strong winds and heavy rains early Monday as locals and tourists in the resort area of Los Cabos began to emerge from shelters and assess the damage.

    Weakening Odile pushes up Mexico's Baja California

    A weakening Tropical Storm Odile pushed up Mexico's Baja California Peninsula early Tuesday, dumping heavy rains that could bring dangerous flash floods and mudslides but also a potential boon to the drought-stricken region.

  • Afghan suicide bomber hits foreigners, wounds 13

    A Taliban suicide car bomber attacked a foreign motorcade just a couple hundred yards (meters) from the U.S. Embassy, unleashing a blast that injured at least 13 people and rattled nearby neighborhoods, police officials said.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category