North Miami / NMB

Museum of Contemporary Art

MOCA board, North Miami working toward settlement

 

After two days of mediation, the city of North Miami and the board of the Museum of Contemporary Art confirmed they are working toward a resolution.

hsampson@MiamiHerald.com

After months of public battles that included a breach-of-contract lawsuit and allegations of a “modern-day art heist,” the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami and its municipal landlord are privately working toward a settlement.

Following two days of mediation, both sides said they are “working diligently toward resolving the matter.”

Neither the city nor the board would confirm a report published Wednesday morning in the Miami New Times claiming that an agreement had been reached.

“We’ve agreed that we’re going to figure something out, but there’s no settlement at the moment,” said attorney Olivia Benson, whose firm SquiresBenson is representing the city in the mediation process.

Citing a confidential source, the New Times says that under the agreement, the current board of trustees would leave the institution with 150 key pieces from the well regarded collection. MOCA’s website says the permanent collection includes about 600 works.

The institution would continue to be called the Museum of Contemporary Art, the New Times reported. Babacar M’Bow, the city-appointed director who was rejected by the board, would stay at the museum in that role and interim director Alex Gartenfeld would depart.

Later Wednesday, the publication updated its story online to include a statement from SquiresBenson, which said in part that terms of the agreement in the story “do not reflect the parties’ discussions.” The law firm did not specify which terms it was referring to.

In an interview with the Miami Herald, Benson addressed one item in the New Times piece, which said that both parties would pay MOCA half of the appraised value of the departing art.

“There’s nothing anywhere in writing that this person is going to pay this or do that,” she said.

Both sides said they looked forward to working together in the future.

“During this time period, both sides have agreed that all discussions and agreements will be confidential until a resolution is finalized,” North Miami spokeswoman Pam Solomon said in a statement. The board’s statement was nearly identical.

Solomon said the process is expected to unfold over the next several weeks.

Tensions between the museum’s board and the city started building in December, when rumors emerged that the board had been in talks with the Bass Museum of Art in Miami Beach to move the collection there.

City Council members ordered staffers in March to do “whatever is necessary” to keep the museum in North Miami; the following month, MOCA’s board filed suit alleging that the city was in breach of contract for failing to maintain, support and secure the museum.

Read more North Miami / NMB stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
“It is amazing to see how they look once they finish the yoga class, that special look; many of them experience this peaceful sensation for the first time,” said Jodi Weiner, executive director of Yoga Gangsters.

    North Miami

    Program teaches yoga to troubled teens

    “The light in me honors and respects the light in you. Namaste,” were the words of Terri Cooper, teacher and founder of Yoga Gangsters, during a class at Girl Power Rocks, an organization that helps young people struggling with difficult situations, school suspensions or family conflicts.

  • North Miami Beach

    Council approves higher water rates

    The city says it needs more money to care for its aging water system.

  • North Miami

    North Miami council tentatively approves 2014-15 budget

    North Miami tentatively approved an amended budget for the 2014-15 fiscal year at its first budget hearing Wednesday night.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK