CUBA

Cuban dissident says he was beaten and choked

 

jtamayo@ElNuevoHerald.com

Cuban dissident Jorge Luis García Pérez, known as Antúnez, said Friday he was beaten, choked into unconsciousness and injected with an unknown substance by security agents who warned him to stop working against warmer U.S.-Cuba relations.

The U.S. State Department meanwhile condemned Cuba’s “systematic” use of violence and detentions against dissidents following a crackdown Wednesday that saw about 45 opposition activists briefly arrested and an independent journalist beaten up.

“We strongly condemn the Cuban government’s systematic use of physical violence and arbitrary detention to silence its critics (and) disrupt peaceful assembly,” said deputy department spokesperson Marie Harf.

“We urge the Government of Cuba to end these practices and respect the universal human rights of Cuban citizens,” Harf added in a statement late Thursday in which she recounted parts of the crackdown the previous day.

García, arrested Wednesday with his wife, Yris Pérez Aguilera and freed Friday, said he had never been so badly abused during his many previous detentions. “I never thought that in this day and age they could do things like this,” he said.

Four muscular men punched him and threw him around an office in a police station in Santa Clara, the provincial capital near his home in the town of Placetas 180 miles east of Havana, he told the Nuevo Herald by phone.

One security official in a white lab coat put him in a strangle hold and knocked him out twice, he said. When he recovered consciousness, the man had just injected something into his arm. There was no independent way to confirm his allegations.

State Security officials told him they had detained him to warn him to stop collecting signatures for a document opposing improved U.S.-Cuba relations, the dissident said. More than 830 Cubans have signed the document.

García said the authorities also told him they knew that he was behind a string of anti-Castro graffiti that has appeared around Placetas, and that he had been in contact with Miami exiles such as Dr. Manuel Alzugaray.

Cuba’s Interior Ministry has linked Alzugaray, director of the Miami Medical Team, and others to four Miami Cubans arrested on the island for allegedly plotting to attack military targets. Alzugaray has denied any involvement in the alleged plot.

García said his wife also was slapped and pushed around during her detention and was given the same message that he received from his captors: “Shut up or get out of the country.” His long-time slogan has been, “I will neither shut up nor leave.”

García, 49, who was jailed from 1990 to 2007, and his wife are among the most outspoken dissidents in communist-ruled Cuba. They head the National Civic Resistance Front Orlando Zapata Tamayo, named for a dissident who died in 2010 after a hunger strike. They have been detained dozens of times, although usually for only a few hours.

Havana dissident Martha Beatriz Roque, 69, meanwhile alleged that she was punched by a female State Security agent in civilian clothes who blocked her from leaving her home Wednesday. She fell with the punch and injured her back, she added.

Security agents have blocked everyone from entering or leaving Roque’s home on Wednesdays since November, to block the weekly meetings of a small group of independent journalists she leads, the Cuban Network of Community Communicators.

The female State Security agent refused to identify herself and told a male supervisor after the incident that Roque had slipped on her own, she said. Cuban security agents seldom identify themselves, and then mostly with nicknames.

The crackdown Wednesday also saw independent journalist Roberto de Jesus Guerra allege that a State Security agent in plainclothes attacked him without provocation as he walked down a Havana street. Guerra suffered a broken nose in the incident.

Police and State Security agents also detained more than 30 members of the dissident Ladies in White and up to 20 male supporters during the day, but had freed all of them by the end of Wednesday.

Havana human rights activist Elizardo Sánchez has been reporting a steady increase in “short-term, arbitrary detentions for political motives” under Cuban ruler Raúl Castro. Such detentions are usually designed to intimidate dissidents and keep them away from opposition gatherings.

His Cuban Committee for Human Rights and National Reconciliation tallied a record 3,821 such arrests in the first four months of this year, compared to the previous high of 2,795 during the first four months of 2012.

Read more Cuba stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
This is the raft on which 16 Cubans sailed from Cuba to Alligator Reef Light off Upper Matecumbe Key this week.

    THE KEYS

    Cuban migrants found suffering from dehydration off the Keys

    Sixteen Cuban migrants were intercepted off the Upper Keys on Wednesday afternoon, and seven of them needed medical attention after suffering from extreme dehydration.

  •  
Sixteen migrants are found crammed in this tiny boat around Alligator Lighthouse, which is about four miles offshore of Islamorada in the FLorida Keys.

    IMMIGRATION

    More than a dozen Cuban migrants rescued at sea in Keys; several taken to hospital

    A small blue homemade boat with a blue-and-white sail was discovered floating near Alligator Reef Lighthouse, about four miles offshore of Islamorada, on Wednesday. Crammed inside the motorless vessel were 16 Cuban migrants lying down, suffering from dehydration, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

  •  
Elsa Lopez looks at her clothes and shoes she wore when she left Cuba with her parents at the age of two at the time. Her items are among several donated by Exiles on display at the VIP opening and presentation of the The Exile Experience: Journey to Freedom, at the Freedom Tower. The exhibit is a pictorial account of the struggles that the Cuban exile community has endured since Fidel Castro's rise to power, and the successes they have achieved in the United States, organized and curated by the Miami Dade College and The Miami Herald, on Wednesday September 10, 2014.

    MIAMI

    Exhibition chronicles Cuban exiles story

    More than 1,000 people crammed into the Freedom Tower Wednesday night for a peek at an exhibition that honors one of the city’s oldest buildings – and captures the tales of hundreds of thousands of Cubans who fled the island and made Miami their new home.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category