In first statement, 5 freed Taliban say they’ll adhere to conditions

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

Five Taliban freed from Guantánamo in a prisoner exchange with the United States said Friday in their first statement since arriving in Qatar that they would remain “loyal” to the conditions Qatar has set for their release.

But the statement gave no information on what those conditions were or whether there are any limitations on their freedom of movement inside Qatar. U.S. officials have said they include a one-year ban on their travel from Qatar.

"We want to assure all stakeholders that we are steadfast and loyal to the agreement between the Islamic Emirate and State of Qatar that was made specifically for our release (from Guantánamo Bay)," they said. The Islamic Emirate is what the Taliban call their government.

"We are grateful to the State of Qatar, which made sincere efforts for our release and hosted us," said the statement, which was released just after the Friday prayers in Qatar.

The message was released in Urdu, a language most Taliban leaders speak well for having studied in religious schools in Pakistan.

The statement closely tracked the contents of a Pashto-language video that the Taliban released Wednesday providing details of the exchange for U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. The five thanked God, Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar, the Taliban’s advisory council and the Taliban political office in Doha for working for their freedom. Three of the men had been captives at Guantánamo since the detention center opened Jan. 11, 2002. The other two arrived later that year.

“Also, we want to thank the people and all Muslims, especially those who tried to get us released or prayed for our release or expressed happiness at our release. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts,” the statement said.

The five released Taliban leaders are: Mohamed Fazl Akhund, the former chief of staff of the Taliban army; Noorulallah Noori, who was head of the Taliban administration of Afghanistan’s northern zone and the governor of Balkh province; Khairullah Khairkhuwa, former minister of interior and said to be a founding member of the Taliban; Abdul Haq Wasiq, former deputy chief of the Taliban intelligence agency; and Maulvi Mohamed Nabi Omari, who was a commander of a border patrol unit during the years the Taliban ruled Afghanistan.

Their release set off a storm of protest in the United States from some members of Congress, angry that the Obama administration did not follow U.S. law and provide 30 days notice of its plans to transfer them from Guantánamo.

Salman is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category