IN THE CAMPS

Return to Kuwait sought for Guantánamo prisoner

 
 
 <a href ="http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/29/v-fullstory/2192896/who-is-still-at-guantanamo.html" target="_blank">Fawzi al Odah</a>, a Kuwaiti, in a prison camp photo included in a dossier given to McClatchy Newspapers by the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks.
Fawzi al Odah, a Kuwaiti, in a prison camp photo included in a dossier given to McClatchy Newspapers by the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks.

Associated Press

A lawyer for one of the last prisoners from Kuwait heldat Guantánamo Bay has told a government review panel that his client will be closely monitored if returned to his homeland.

Attorney Eric Lewis says Kuwait has agreed to keep Fawzi al Odah, 37, in a rehabilitation center for at least a year.

Al Odah would also surrender his passport and check in weekly with police after his release from rehabilitation.

The prisoner has been at the U.S. base in Cuba on suspicion of involvement with terrorism since February 2002. He has not been charged with a crime. He appeared Wednesday before a board reviewing whether the U.S. can transfer certain prisoners previously deemed too dangerous to release.

The board is to review the case of the other Kuwaiti prisoner, Fayez al Kandari, 37, next week.

The lawyer, appearing with his client at Guantánamo, addressed the members of the Periodic Review Board in Washington by video link. His statement was published on a Pentagon website.

Al-Odah has been held at the U.S. base in Cuba on suspicion of involvement with terrorism since February 2002. He has not been charged. His lawyer said the 37-year-old poses no threat to the U.S. and would seek to start a family and work in his father's plumbing supply business if allowed to return to his homeland.

At one point, the U.S. held a dozen prisoners from Kuwait at Guantánamo The military said that a Kuwaiti who was released in 2005 carried out a suicide bomb attack in Iraq in April 2008.

The Periodic Review Board is reviewing the cases of dozens of prisoners who authorities previously determined could not be charged but were too dangerous for release or transfer. The U.S. holds 149 men at Guantánamo.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category