IN THE CAMPS

U.S. kept Red Cross in the dark about Guantánamo prisoner release

 

The International Committee of the Red Cross usually is invited to interview detainees who are about to leave Guantánamo — not this time.

 
International Red Cross delegates appear to be delivering mail to a prisoner locked inside a cell at the U.S. Navy base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, in this photo released by the Geneva-based organization with permission of the Pentagon.
International Red Cross delegates appear to be delivering mail to a prisoner locked inside a cell at the U.S. Navy base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, in this photo released by the Geneva-based organization with permission of the Pentagon.
ICRC

crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

Add the International Committee of the Red Cross to the list of those kept in the dark before Saturday’s Guantánamo prisoner exchange.

The Geneva-based organization that advocates for prisoner rights around the globe said the Pentagon, unusually, did not invite delegates to the remote base in advance to interview the five Afghans on their willingness to leave, or conduct medical checkups.

“The fact that the ICRC was not notified in advance of the detainees’ transfer was unusual, and we are following up with the authorities,” Red Cross spokeswoman Anna Nelson told the Miami Herald on Monday, in reply to a query.

The Obama administration similarly withheld its statutory 30-day notice from members of Congress when it released five Taliban detainees who’d been in custody for more than a decade in exchange for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahal of Idaho. Instead, the Pentagon notified Congress on Saturday as the exchange was under way.

Also Monday, the prison camps clamped a lid of secrecy on what went on at the detention center over the weekend.

Spokesmen refused to say whether the remaining 149 captives knew about the deal, were able to see reports on the release on TV news broadcasts or whether there had been disruptions or celebrations — information previous spokesmen willingly disclosed.

“Everyone is fine down here,” said Navy Cmdr John Filostrat, senior spokesman for the detention center of roughly 2,200 guards and civilian staff.

The Red Cross has visited the detention center more than 100 times since soon after the Bush administration set it up in January 2002. They consult with medical staff and prison camp commanders and advocate for improvement; interview and photograph captives; deliver mail, books and periodicals, and arrange video calls for some detainees.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category