Marlins notebook

Miami Marlins’ starter Henderson Alvarez expected to make next scheduled start

 
 
Miami Marlins starter Henderson Alvarez pitches in the first inning of a Major League Baseball game against the New York Mets at Marlins Park in Miami on May 6, 2014.
Miami Marlins starter Henderson Alvarez pitches in the first inning of a Major League Baseball game against the New York Mets at Marlins Park in Miami on May 6, 2014.
David Santiago / El Nuevo Staff

cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

Henderson Alvarez remains confident he will make his next scheduled start Tuesday. Marlins manager Mike Redmond and pitching coach Chuck Hernandez said they, too, see no reason for concern regarding the pitcher, who came out of Wednesday’s start in Washington after five innings with a stiff right elbow.

Alvarez said through an interpreter (Marlins teammate Arquimedes Caminero) he will have a much better idea of how the arm feels after he throws his normal between-starts bullpen session on Saturday. But, so far, all indications are the discomfort he experienced in D.C. was nothing more than stiffness.

Alvarez threw off flat ground Friday and said the arm felt fine.

“It feels pretty good,” he said. “I didn’t feel anything bad.”

With Jose Fernandez already finished for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery, the Marlins can hardly afford to lose another of their frontline starters. Obviously, Andrew Heaney is at Triple A New Orleans and waiting in the wings.

But to call up Heaney now — as opposed to a few weeks from now once they’re certain the Super Two cutoff date has passed (sometime around the third week of June is the projected cutoff date) — probably doesn’t make much sense in the long term.

If Heaney were to be called up now, it could make him eligible for arbitration after the 2016 season. By holding off for a few more weeks, the Marlins would push back the lefty’s first arbitration year until after 2017. In other words, the Marlins would risk surrendering a full year of control for the handful of additional starts Heaney would give them between now and the cutoff date.

With two off days on the upcoming schedule, the Marlins could arrange their rotation so that Randy Wolf — or any combination of fifth starters — would receive only three more starts before it’s safe for the Marlins to promote Heaney.

CAPPS’ STATUS

Reliever Carter Capps will be receiving a second opinion on his right forearm sprain. The Marlins are hoping rest will take care of Capps’ injury. But that could always change. At the very least, the Marlins expect Capps to be out for at least a month.

• As expected, Tuesday’s rainout in Washington will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader on Sept. 26 at Nationals Park.

COMING UP

•  Saturday: Marlins RHP Jacob Turner (1-2, 5.35 ERA) vs. Atlanta Braves RHP Ervin Santana (4-2, 4.06), 4:10 p.m., Marlins Park.

•  Sunday: Marlins RHP Nathan Eovaldi (4-2, 3.36) vs. Braves RHP Aaron Harang (4-4, 3.29), 1:10 p.m., Marlins Park.

Read more Miami Marlins stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category