GM fined $35 million for failure to report ignition switch defect

 
 
The 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
The 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
HANDOUT / MCT

McClatchy Washington Bureau

In what it called the single highest civil penalty resulting from an automobile recall, the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday fined General Motors $35 million for the company’s failure to report a safety defect.

The defective ignition switch in the 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt is blamed for 13 fatalities. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, announcing the penalty, said that GM knew about the defect as early as 2009 but failed to report it.

“They told no one,” he said. “Crashes happened, and people died.”

But saying “our work doesn’t end here,” Foxx said that President Barack Obama’s four-year transportation proposal would increase the maximum fine to $300 million.

“These penalties should put all automakers on notice,” he said.

Federal law requires automakers to report safety defects within five days and immediately recall vehicles that are not in compliance with federal safety standards.

GM admitted to its failure to report the ignition switch defect in a consent order it signed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The order requires the company to change how it reviews and reports safety problems, and the provisions are enforceable in federal court.

David Friedman, the highway agency’s acting administrator, said that GM executives, engineers and lawyers knew about the defect but broke the law by not reporting it.

“There is no such thing as an automaker overreacting to a safety defect,” Friedman said.

Since February, GM has recalled more than 2 million vehicles over the defect, which could cause the vehicles’ airbags to not function in a crash. The families of three victims who were injured or killed in crashes tied to the defect filed a wrongful death lawsuit against GM in March.

Last month, Mary Barra, the company’s CEO, apologized to the families of the victims in a House of Representatives oversight hearing.

Congress and the Department of Justice are also investigating the circumstances behind GM’s handling of the safety defect.

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Christie calls Arkansas top pickup opportunity

    New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is calling Arkansas the best opportunity for Republicans to pick up a governor's seat as he campaigns for Asa Hutchinson's gubernatorial bid.

  • Police: Diplomat accused of beating, no charges

    The ambassador of Equatorial Guinea is suspected of beating his daughter with a wooden chair leg but won't be arrested because he has diplomatic immunity, police said Wednesday.

  •  
Richard Martinez, whose son Christopher Ross Michaels-Martinez was one of the victims in a shooting spree in Isle Vista, listens to the debate over a bill to allow courts to temporarily remove firearms from people who show signs that they could harm themselves or others, allow courts to issue a temporary "gun violence restraint order" in the Senate at the Capitol in Sacramento, Calif., Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014.  The bill, AB1014, that will allow law enforcement and immediate family members to seek are restraining order removing fire arms for 21 days was approved by a 23-8 vote.

    California Senate passes gun restraining order

    Motivated to act after a deadly rampage near the University of California, Santa Barbara, state lawmakers advanced a bill Wednesday that would allow judges to temporarily take firearms from people who show signs that they could harm themselves or others.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category