Obamas’ assets worth between $1.8 million and $7 million, financial forms show

 

McClatchy Washington Bureau

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama held assets worth between $1.8 million and $7 million last year, including between $1 million and $5 million in U.S. treasury notes, according to financial disclosure forms released by the White House on Thursday.

The treasury notes were the First Family’s largest single asset in 2013, but the Obamas also reported between $70,000 and $165,000 in income from book royalties, up to $250,000 in a Vanguard retirement fund, and between $200,000 and $400,000 in college savings plans.

The disclosure forms show that the Obamas still owe between $500,000 and $1 million on a 30 year mortgage for their home in Chicago, Illinois, with an interest rate of more than 5.6 percent. The couple does not appear to have refinanced since 2005.

Federal law requires the president, vice president and other high-level officials to submit their finances annually for review by the Office of Government Ethics. The forms list assets in ranges of hundreds of thousands of dollars, not exact amounts.

Ethics officials did not find any conflicts of interest in the 2013 reports submitted by Obama or Vice President Joe Biden, the White House said.

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • White House backs use of body cameras by police

    Requiring police officers to wear body cameras is one potential solution to bridging deep mistrust between law enforcement and the public, the White House said, weighing in on a national debate sparked by the shooting of an unarmed black man last month in Ferguson, Missouri.

  • DNR, MSU collaborate to hone conservation skills

    Michigan State University and the state Department of Natural Resources have announced an online program to help conservation officers develop and sharpen their crime-fighting skills.

  • US labor board orders CNN to rehire fired workers

    The National Labor Relations Board ruled against the CNN cable television network on Monday in an 11-year-old labor dispute, ordering the network to rehire or compensate about 300 former workers.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category