Broward’s Alejandro Bedoya on U.S. provisional World Cup roster; Eddie Johnson out

 
 
KANSAS CITY, KS - OCTOBER 11: Alejandro Bedoya #11 of the U.S. Men's National Soccer Team celebrates after the victory against Jamaica at Sporting Park on October 11, 2013 in Kansas City, Kansas.
KANSAS CITY, KS - OCTOBER 11: Alejandro Bedoya #11 of the U.S. Men's National Soccer Team celebrates after the victory against Jamaica at Sporting Park on October 11, 2013 in Kansas City, Kansas.
Kyle Rivas / Getty Images

Preliminary squad

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Salt Lake).

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg), Brad Evans (Seattle), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles), Clarence Goodson (San Jose), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle).

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto), Joe Corona (Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Kansas City).

Fowards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose).


mkaufman@MiamiHerald.com

After two and a half years of roster experiments and 69 player auditions, coach Jurgen Klinsmann on Monday revealed his 30-man provisional World Cup roster. “Now,’’ he says, “the clock is ticking.’’

Klinsmann has until June 2 to choose the 23 players who will travel to Brazil for the World Cup, which kicks off June 12 in Sao Paulo.

“We took another big step toward the World Cup,’’ Klinsmann said. “It’s not that easy because you have to leave quite a few out who were important parts of this process. Making those phone calls was unpleasant because you give the players a message they don’t want to hear.’’

The most notable absence is forward Eddie Johnson, who played in the 2006 World Cup and scored key goals during the qualifying rounds. Klinsmann said Johnson’s critical comments about his D.C. United teammates last week had “nothing to do’’ with his omission, that it was just the other forwards being “a little ahead of the curve’’ and also because he sees Landon Donovan competing for a forward spot.

Alejandro Bedoya, a 27-year-old midfielder who grew up in Weston and played at St. Thomas Aquinas High, was among the players to get the call. He raised his stock playing for Nantes in the French league this season. Bedoya made the 30-man roster four years ago, but was one of the final players cut before the South Africa World Cup.

“Based on my performances for Nantes and the national team, I was pretty confident I could be in the 30, but now I want to make sure I can be on that plane to Brazil,’’ Bedoya said by phone from Nantes. “Last time I was disappointed, but it was a whole different story because I was young and inexperienced and just happy to be in camp. I now know how to handle this kind of camp.’’

Klinsmann said Bedoya evolved as a player in France. “He stepped it up, became more mature, developed more drive, and more resistance in his games. That’s big.’’

Veteran forward Jozy Altidore of Boca Raton also made the 30-man roster, as did familiar names Donovan, Tim Howard, Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and DaMarcus Beasley, who lives in South Florida and has been training with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers since his season with Mexican club Puebla ended in late April.

Donovan is going for his fourth World Cup and will have to fight for his spot, said Klinsmann, whose team opens camp Wednesday in Palo Alto, Calif.

“With all the appreciation and admiration for what he’s done throughout his career, which is extraordinary and deserves compliments, but soccer is about what happens today and tomorrow,’’ Klinsmann said. “We are not building a group based on the past.’’

The U.S. team plays World Cup tuneups against Azerbaijan on May 27 in San Francisco, Turkey on June 1 at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey, and Nigeria on June 7 in Jacksonville before flying to Brazil.

In addition to the roster announcement, Monday was a big day for American soccer because Major League Soccer and the U.S. Soccer Federation announced an eight-year deal with ESPN, Fox and Univision believed to be worth $90 million per year — triple what they were getting before but still shy of the $200 million-a-year NHL contract. There will be a significant push to elevate the profile of domestic soccer and the U.S. team, and part of that, said MLS commissioner Don Garber, hinges on expansion in New York, Miami and Atlanta.

“A key thing is a second team in New York, and teams in downtown Miami and Atlanta, assuming we get the stadium deal we need in Miami. Those are major markets not reflected in our national TV ratings, and those teams coming in bode well for our fan base.’’

Read more Soccer stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Portland Timbers' Will Johnson, left, watches Vancouver Whitecaps' Mauro Rosales, of Argentina, as he follows the ball during the first half of an MLS soccer game in Vancouver, British Columbia, on Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014.

    Timbers beat Whitecaps 3-0

    Alvas Powell, Maximiliano Urruti and Rodney Wallace scored in the second half in the Portland Timbers' 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.

  • Recap: Vancouver FC vs. Portland

    The Portland Timbers scored three times in the second half en route to a 3-0 win over Cascadia Cup rivals Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday at BC Place.

  • Dempsey lifts Seattle past Colorado, 1-0

    Clint Dempsey from a corner in the 52nd minute as the Seattle Sounders beat the Colorado Rapids 1-0 on Saturday to extend their overall Major League Soccer lead.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category