CUBA

Cuba says it arrested four Miami men plotting a ‘terrorist’ attack

 

jtamayo@ElNuevoHerald.com

Three militant Cuban exiles in South Florida on Wednesday denied a Havana allegation that they ordered four men arrested in Cuba to attack military installations — the first such violent plot reported in more than a decade.

A Cuban Interior Ministry statement said Miami residents Raibel Pacheco Santos, Obdulio Rodríguez González, Félix Monzón Álvarez and José Ortega Amador were arrested April 26 but gave few other details.

The four men “admitted that they planned to attack military installations with the objective of promoting violent activities,” the statement said, adding that three of them had traveled to Cuba in 2013 to study and plan their attack.

Cuba’s announcement may be linked to its inclusion last week in a U.S. list of countries that support international terrorism, the three Havana spies in U.S. prisons and perhaps even the desperation of an elderly exile, analysts in Miami said.

Pacheco, 31, a Hialeah resident, registered a “Cuban Liberation Force Inc.” with the Florida Department of State in 2009 and listed its purpose as helping “the people in Cuba to win back their democracy and their lost liberties.”

The only post on its blog says the organization was “founded at the request of members of the armed forces who are inside Cuba, as well as members of organizations and the people” with its only goal being “the toppling of the regime.”

Rodriguez and Monzón attended some meetings of exile militants in Miami six or seven years ago but were not well known in the community and were not known to be members of any particular anti-Castro organization, said Miami radio host Hector Fabian.

The Interior Ministry statement late Tuesday said the four men detained in Cuba confessed that their plans for “terrorist actions” have been “organized under the direction” of Miami exiles Santiago Álvarez Fernández, Osvaldo Mitat and Manuel Alzugaray.

“This, I did not do,” said Alvarez, 72, a long-time militant exile and wealthy real estate developer imprisoned from 2005 to 2009 for illegal possession of firearms allegedly stockpiled for raids on Cuba.

He does not recall ever meeting the four men, Alvarez told El Nuevo Herald, and he suspects that the Cuban allegation is part of “something very sinister — an attempt to link peaceful dissidents to this plot and put them in jail.”

Alvarez declined comment on which dissidents might be targeted, but is known to donate to Miami groups that support opposition activists on the island, including such Martha Beatriz Roque and Jorge Luis Perez Garcia, known as Antunez.

Mitat, 72, a car salesman who served nearly two years in prison on the same gun charges as Alvarez, said he knew “nothing about nothing” regarding the four men arrested. “I am very bad with names,” he said.

Alzugaray, 71, could not be reached for comment. The surgeon heads the Miami Medical Mission, volunteer exile doctors who have helped dissidents as well as the “contra” guerrillas that fought Nicaragua’s Marxist Sandinista regime in the 1980s.

The Cuban statement noted that Alvarez, Mitat and Alzugaray had “close ties” to Luis Posada Carriles, 86, a Miami exile wanted by Havana for the 1976 bombing of a Cuban airliner that killed 73 passengers and crew. Posada’s lawyer, Arturo Hernandez, said his client flatly denied any role in the alleged plot.

The Interior Ministry statement said Cuban authorities will “carry out the necessary efforts with the proper U.S. authorities to investigate these acts and avert … actions of terrorist elements and organizations in that country (that) put in danger the lives of people and the security of both nations.”

The U.S. State Department and the FBI in Miami had no comment on the Cuban announcement.

Cuban television’s Mesa Redonda news analysis program Wednesday evening portrayed the case as linked to U.S. government efforts to support dissidents and push for democracy on the island — what the Cuban government calls “regime change.”

Analyst Reinaldo Taladrid said he had no independent information on the four men but believed they were “mercenaries.” He said they likely have criminal records in the United States and briefly mentioned a report that one had a fraud conviction.

Former Radio Marti director Pedro Roig said it was no coincidence that Havana announced the four arrests the week after the State Department’s annual list of countries that support terrorism included Cuba yet again.

“The terrorists are not in Cuba. They are in the United States,” said Mesa Redonda host Randy Alonso.

Cuba, which has been on the list since 1982, was hoping the Obama administration would take it off the list and open the way for warmer bilateral relations, said Roig, now with the Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies at the University of Miami.

Miami activist Ramon Saul Sanchez speculated Havana may be trying to reinforce its demands that the three spies in U.S. jails be freed because they were only monitoring terror plots by exiles. The “Wasp Network” also monitored two U.S. military bases.

Alvarez said that the Interior Ministry’s claim that three of the men had visited Cuba last year — presumably legally — seemed odd for a group that was allegedly planning to attack military installations. “Where’s their guns?” he asked.

At least six armed infiltrations of Cuba were launched from Miami in the early 1990s, when the island was reeling under the collapse of the Soviet Union and some exiles believed that they could spark a broad revolt against the communist government.

The last such infiltration reported was in 2001, when Máximo Valdés Pradera, Santiago Padrón Quintero and Iosvani Solís de la Torre were captured carrying pistols and semi-automatic rifles. Interior Ministry officials at the time made public a recording of Solis on the phone with Alvarez allegedly discussing the bombing of the famed Tropicana cabaret.

Alvarez said Wednesday that he no longer supports armed attacks on Cuban targets. “In this day and age, the tactics for opposing the dictatorship have changed,” he said.

Roig speculated that the plot to attack military installations, if true, may be part of some desperate last attempt by an anti-Castro activist. “Think of the calendar: The youngest people in this struggle are 70-plus years old,” he said.

.

Read more Cuba stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
This is the raft on which 16 Cubans sailed from Cuba to Alligator Reef Light off Upper Matecumbe Key this week.

    THE KEYS

    Cuban migrants found suffering from dehydration off the Keys

    Sixteen Cuban migrants were intercepted off the Upper Keys on Wednesday afternoon, and seven of them needed medical attention after suffering from extreme dehydration.

  •  
Sixteen migrants are found crammed in this tiny boat around Alligator Lighthouse, which is about four miles offshore of Islamorada in the FLorida Keys.

    IMMIGRATION

    More than a dozen Cuban migrants rescued at sea in Keys; several taken to hospital

    A small blue homemade boat with a blue-and-white sail was discovered floating near Alligator Reef Lighthouse, about four miles offshore of Islamorada, on Wednesday. Crammed inside the motorless vessel were 16 Cuban migrants lying down, suffering from dehydration, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

  •  
Elsa Lopez looks at her clothes and shoes she wore when she left Cuba with her parents at the age of two at the time. Her items are among several donated by Exiles on display at the VIP opening and presentation of the The Exile Experience: Journey to Freedom, at the Freedom Tower. The exhibit is a pictorial account of the struggles that the Cuban exile community has endured since Fidel Castro's rise to power, and the successes they have achieved in the United States, organized and curated by the Miami Dade College and The Miami Herald, on Wednesday September 10, 2014.

    MIAMI

    Exhibition chronicles Cuban exiles story

    More than 1,000 people crammed into the Freedom Tower Wednesday night for a peek at an exhibition that honors one of the city’s oldest buildings – and captures the tales of hundreds of thousands of Cubans who fled the island and made Miami their new home.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category