Michael Frosceno, 56

Retired Miami-Dade Corrections sergeant dies kayaking in Key Largo

Retired Miami-Dade Corrections Sgt. Michael Frosceno.
Retired Miami-Dade Corrections Sgt. Michael Frosceno.


The Frosceno family grew up in the shadow of the old Orange Bowl in Miami. And, like many working families in the early 1970s, luxuries like in-house washers and dryers weren’t as common as clotheslines strewn across backyards.

This bothered a young Michael Frosceno, whose dad, Salvatore, was chef at some of the hotels that once lined Biscayne Boulevard like the Columbus and Everglades. His mother should not have to air the family’s clean laundry for all the neighbors to see as it flapped in the tropical air.

The teen saved enough money from his restaurant job to purchase his mother a dryer.

“He was the most kind-hearted man you’d ever want to meet in your life,” said his sister Lori Maroon, who remembered her mother telling her about the dryer story.

“What teenager does this for his parents?”

The family gathered late last week to share stories like that about Frosceno, 56, a recently retired Miami-Dade Corrections sergeant who died Wednesday morning while kayaking and fishing with friends and colleagues in Key Largo.

According to a report in KeysNet, Frosceno’s body was found floating face up in the water, still clad in a life jacket, by one of the kayakers near Card Sound Bridge, which connects southern Miami-Dade and northern Monroe counties.

Frosceno, a recent kidney transplant recipient, was pronounced dead at Ryder Trauma Center. The family is awaiting a cause of death, Maroon said Friday. “He appreciated that second chance of life he got and did everything his doctor told him to do,” she said. “He never complained.”

Born in Miami, Frosceno was a quintessential native, his family said. He graduated from Miami High, worked at lost South Florida places like Sambo’s Restaurant, then later as a skycap baggage handler for Eastern Airlines in 1985.

Soon, he’d find a career at Miami-Dade Corrections, where he worked for 25 years. He retired in July as a sergeant.

He loved South Florida and all the amenities it had to offer: fishing excursions and the critters that call Florida home.

“He was an avid animal lover,” Maroon said. “If a lizard was in the house, he’d take it out. He died while fishing with friends. He was happy.”

In addition to his sister, Frosceno, who lived in Weston, is survived by his wife, Marissa; his mother, Geraldine; sister Anita Jones; and brother Salvatore Jr.

Visitation and viewing will be held at 5 p.m. Sunday at Van Orsdel Coral Gables Chapel, 4600 SW 8th St., Coral Gables, and funeral service at 11 a.m. Monday at Van Orsdel.

Follow @HowardCohen on Twitter.

Read more Obituaries stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category