Miami Beach’s par-3 golf course will be converted into a passive park following a commission vote Wednesday night.
A portion of the course will also be converted into play space for the adjacent Scott Rakow Youth Center.
Bounded by 28th Street on the north, Miami Beach Senior High on the south, Prairie Avenue on the west and Pine Tree Drive on the east, the course has been the subject of at least two lawsuits.
Some residents say the 20-acre course would benefit more residents if different uses were allowed.
“What we’re really talking about is the best use of this space,” said city Parks and Recreation board member Paul Stein. “This is something that can be utilized by every single resident.”
Residents who live near the course want it to remain used to golf, fearing a park would generate more traffic and impact property values.
Jorge Exposito, a former commissioner, told the new elected body that the residents had been promised certain things under settlements from the two lawsuits filed.
“This is not children hater against children lover,” Exposito said.
But the city attorney’s office has said the commission can vote to change the uses of the course under the terms of the settlement agreements.
Commissioners on Wednesday voted unanimously to turn over land for a putting green to the youth center. Commissioner Deede Weithorn cast the lone dissenting vote against turning the entire course into a park.
Follow @Cveiga on Twitter.