Miami Beach

More charges against Lamborghini driver in MacArthur crash that killed vodka exec, injured personal trainer

 
 
A Lamborghini going 100 mph rear-ended an SUV, closing the MacArthur for hours on Thursday.
A Lamborghini going 100 mph rear-ended an SUV, closing the MacArthur for hours on Thursday.
WALTER MICHOT / MIAMI HERALD STAFF

crabin@MiamiHerald.com

Miami Beach police have filed new charges against Andres Esteban Toro — the man they said crashed his Lamborghini into an SUV on the MacArthur Causeway last week, killing one man and injuring another — after blood tests confirmed he was well over the legal drinking limit.

In addition to vehicular homicide, Toro, 42, was charged this week with DUI manslaughter and DUI serious bodily injury. Police said tests taken just a few hours after the crash show Toro’s blood alcohol level was more than two times the legal limit.

A Miami-Dade judge on Wednesday ordered that Toro, who is still hospitalized at Jackson Memorial Hospital, post an additional $150,000 bond for the added charges.

Toro, who lives in a multi-million dollar Coconut Grove condo, owns an Aston Martin, a Mercedez-Benz and a Range Rover, and has the means to flee now that he is facing an additional five years prison, prosecutor Laura Adams told the court.

Authorities could not take a blood sample for more than 40 minutes after the crash because rescuers took more than 40 minutes to extricate him from the wrecked Lamborghini. That means at the time of the crash, Toro’s blood alcohol level was closer to .20 — on a highly traveled causeway, Adams said. The legal limit is .08.

“The driving pattern is egregious,” Adams said.

According to an arrest report, at the scene, Toro “was observed to have bloodshot eyes, and a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage” on his breath.

On April 24, police say, Toro was driving the sports car toward the mainland on the MacArthur at 120 miles per hour when it slammed into the back of a Chevrolet truck driven by personal trainer Raul Alfonzo, who had stopped at a red light on the causeway at Palm Island.

Malcolm Lloyd, a New York vodka magnate who was a passenger in the Lamborghini driven by Toro, was killed instantly. Alfonzo suffered serious injuries and is recuperating at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Toro survived and is also at Jackson.

Sources familiar with the investigation say Toro and Lloyd were returning to Toro’s Coconut Grove condo from Miami Beach.

Alfonzo was returning to his Sweetwater home after working security at a Miami Beach bar, family and his attorneys said. They have declined to say where he works.

Police say Toro was driving at 120 mph on a roadway where the speed limit is 50 mph.

Read more Miami Beach stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Beach-goers enjoy the newly rebuilt South Pointe Pier in Miami Beach, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014. Located at 1 Washington Ave., the pier is open from 7:30 a.m. to sunset and offers fishing facilities as well as views of Government Cut, South Beach, and Downtown Miami.

    Miami Beach

    Miami Beach reopens South Pointe Pier

    After two years and $4.8 million, the South Pointe Park Pier has opened at the southern end of Miami Beach.

  • Miami Beach

    Miami Beach may ban commercial hand-billing in busy areas

    Anyone who has walked down Lincoln Road or Ocean Drive has faced the barrage people hawking restaurant menus and party promotions along the sidewalk.

  • Soapbox

    City Manager: Miami Beach services are first-rate, not Third World

    I read with great interest the letter from Miami Beach resident Monica Barshop in which she complains about high taxes, poor services, and third world quality of life (First World taxes, Third World city, Soapbox, Aug. 21). Admitting my bias due to my position as city manager and this being my hometown, I wish to respectfully point out the following:

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK