NBA to make announcement regarding Sterling probe Tuesday

 

The Sports Network

New York, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - The NBA will make an announcement regarding its investigation involving Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling on Tuesday.

Sterling allegedly made racially charged comments that have incensed many in and out of basketball.

Past and present NBA stars, including Magic Johnson and LeBron James, have weighed in on the Sterling issue, while President Barack Obama also commented when asked while on a trip to Malaysia.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver on Saturday said Sterling deserved due process, but added that the league would act swiftly with a quick investigation.

TMZ.com posted nearly 10 minutes of audio it said is a conversation between Sterling and his girlfriend, in which a man tells a woman he is bothered by her association with African-Americans and asks her not to bring them to Clippers games.

Deadspin also released another tape said to be Sterling and his girlfriend, in which the man tells the woman he supports the players because his money pays for their food, clothes, cars and houses.

The Clippers are set to host the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday in Game 5 of their Western Conference quarterfinal with the series even at two games apiece.

Sterling did not attend Game 4 of the series on Sunday in Oakland, a 118-97 Warriors victory.

The Clippers staged a silent protest before Sunday's game by wearing their pregame shirts inside-out with the team's logo out of sight.

Both head coach Doc Rivers and star guard Chris Paul said the Sterling issue was not a distraction on Sunday.

Paul is also the president of the National Basketball Players Association, which has asked longtime NBA point guard and current Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson to expand his responsibilities with the NBPA to determine the organization's next steps.

This is not the first time Sterling, who has owned the Clippers since 1981, has been embroiled in controversy.

In 2009, he was fined over $2.7 million by the U.S. Justice Department to settle allegations he discriminated against African-Americans, Hispanics and families with children at apartment buildings he controls in Los Angeles.

Two years later, Sterling won a lawsuit filed by former Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor, who accused the team of firing him based on his age.

Sterling also previously reached a settlement with a former employee who accused him of sexual harassment.

Read more Basketball Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category