Miami Gardens

Huge storage facility fire in Miami Gardens ruled accidental

The fire that damaged multiple units at a storage facility off the Palmetto Expressway in Miami Gardens was an accidental electrical fire, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue investigators confirmed Tuesday.

Workers battled the four-alarm fire starting about 6 p.m. at Public Storage, 3505 NW 167th St. The blaze spread and damaged 40 units, fire rescue spokesman Arnold Piedrahita said.

Firefighters battled the flames for almost two hours before the fire was brought under control. As many as 36 Miami-Dade fire crews plus four from Hialeah Fire Rescue responded and began opening the storage units to check for additional damage, Piedrahita said.

After the fire was under control, as a precaution, authorities used a bulldozer to clear debris that may have still been smoldering.

No injuries were reported, and tenants were allowed to come in Tuesday and survey the damage to their property.

Read more Miami-Dade stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category