The fire that damaged multiple units at a storage facility off the Palmetto Expressway in Miami Gardens was an accidental electrical fire, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue investigators confirmed Tuesday.
Workers battled the four-alarm fire starting about 6 p.m. at Public Storage, 3505 NW 167th St. The blaze spread and damaged 40 units, fire rescue spokesman Arnold Piedrahita said.
Firefighters battled the flames for almost two hours before the fire was brought under control. As many as 36 Miami-Dade fire crews plus four from Hialeah Fire Rescue responded and began opening the storage units to check for additional damage, Piedrahita said.
After the fire was under control, as a precaution, authorities used a bulldozer to clear debris that may have still been smoldering.
No injuries were reported, and tenants were allowed to come in Tuesday and survey the damage to their property.