Cholera

World Bank head Jim Yong Kim calls for renewed urgency in Haiti’s cholera fight

 
 
World Bank President Jim Yong Kim
World Bank President Jim Yong Kim
Hassene Dridi / AP

jcharles@MiamiHerald.com

The head of the World Bank is calling for a renewed sense of urgency and more coordination from the international community to help Haiti eliminate cholera, which has killed thousands of Haitians since its outbreak in October 2010.

“Cholera can be eliminated in Haiti. We need to do much more to strengthen Haitian institutions and support the government’s cholera elimination plan,” World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim said. “This will require an integrated multi-sector approach that prioritizes improvements in water and health programs for the most vulnerable people.”

Kim’s appeal comes ahead of an April 22 meeting in Port-au-Prince to review the progress in Haiti’s cholera fight, and an upcoming delivery of anti-cholera medication this week. On Wednesday, JetBlue Airways will lead a humanitarian mission to Haiti, transporting among other supplies, water purification powder for 4 million liters of fresh water to help prevent the disease’s transmission.

Earlier this month, the European Commission gave $2 million to UNICEF to strengthen prevention and rapid response to cholera in Haiti ahead of hurricane season, which begins in June.

“This contribution will allow UNICEF and its partners to intensify actions on the ground, especially in the high-risk areas,” said Edouard Beigbeder, the UNICEF representative in Haiti.

But much more is needed said Kim, whose own donor organization has contributed more than $35 million in cholera prevention and treatment, and this year plans to invest $30 million in a water project.

Meanwhile, a $2.27 billion, 10-year cholera elimination plan launched by Haiti and the United Nations is struggling to attract donors’ support. The plan outlines needed investments in water and sanitation as well as prevention, surveillance and management of cases.

Human-rights activists and lawyers who have filed several lawsuits in U.S. courts on behalf of victims and their families against the United Nations, accuse the global body of introducing the disease in Haiti. The U.N. has refused to address the accusations directly, instead assigning a senior coordinator to help coordinate the cholera response plan.

Pedro Medrano, the U.N.’s cholera envoy, has also accused donors of not doing enough to assist in the elimination efforts. If donors don’t step up, Medrano said, cholera could not only spike in Haiti but further spread to other countries in the hemisphere.

Kim voiced similar concerns Friday during a meeting of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary Fund.

Since the waterborne disease’s outbreak in Haiti, 10 months after the country’s devastating earthquake, cholera has killed more than 8,500 Haitians and sickened more than 700,000, according to Haiti’s health ministry.

And while the country is seeing some of the lowest numbers of suspected cholera cases since the outbreak — they have dropped from a monthly average of more than 35,000 in the first year of the epidemic to around 4,900 in 2013 — experts warn Haiti still has the highest number of reported cholera cases in the world.

“Much progress has been made, but there is a clear shortfall of resources. We need to come up with a solution that is equal to the challenge,” Kim said.

During the meeting, World Bank Group specialists discussed with Haitian government officials and others how Bangladesh, Peru, and other countries’ success in eliminating cholera could help Haiti in its efforts.

It was also noted that despite ongoing efforts to improve water and sanitation in Haiti, the country still has the lowest coverage in the hemisphere; only 69 percent of Haitians have access to safe drinking water, and 27 percent to improved sanitation.

Read more Haiti stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
A supporter of Haiti's former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide holds up a picture of him, while demonstrating in front of his house during a protest in his support, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014. Supporters of the former president have been blocking the street in front of his house as the popular former leader faces possible arrest for not providing court-ordered testimony in a criminal investigation.

    Haiti

    As Haiti election delays continue, Aristides remains focus

    Defying a judge’s order, opposition leaders in Haiti plan to visit former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who was put under house arrest last week as part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

  •  
Haiti's first lady Sophia Martelly, right, talks with Health Minister Florence Duperval Guillaume in a warehouse housing a donation of kits to treat chikungunya, in the Cite Soleil slum, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2014. The U.S. medical group Direct Relief donated millions of kits to treat the mosquito-borne virus that has sickened tens of thousands across the Caribbean over the past year.

    Haiti gets help for mosquito-borne virus outbreak

    Haiti has received a large shipment of treatment packets to help it deal with an outbreak of the mosquito-borne virus known as chikungunya amid a rainy season expected to result in a surge of new cases in the country, officials said Wednesday.

  •  
In this Sept. 3, 2014 photo, residents walk in the streets outside of the main prison in Croix-des-Bouquets, Haiti. On August 11, 2014, the Croix-des-Bouquet Civil Prison, built by Canada in 2012, held some 130 inmates over its capacity, when more than 300 of them broke out in a violent confrontation. It was Haiti’s largest prison escape since 2010, when thousands of inmates fled the notorious National Penitentiary in downtown Port-au-Prince in the aftermath of an earthquake that devastated the capital.

    Haiti prisons under scrutiny after mass breakout

    Sudden gunfire rattled the morning routine outside the Croix-des-Bouquets Civil Prison and soon inmates, many barefoot and shirtless, dashed frantically from the maximum-security facility, startling street vendors as they looted their wares and fled through the unpaved streets.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category