Gossip extra

Julio Iglesias settles overtime suit brought by former handyman

 

jose@gossipextra.com

Crooner Julio Iglesias has quietly settled a lawsuit filed in a Miami federal court by his former handyman.

The allegations were that Iglesias, Enrique Iglesias’ dad and a worldwide singing sensation in the 1970s, stiffed worker Hector Gomez out of thousands in pay for overtime allegedly performed at the star’s house on LaGorce Island in Miami Beach.

According to the court file, the singer of To All The Girls I've Loved Before had Gomez put in an average of 78 hours a week for the five years Gomez worked for him.

But, the filing says, Iglesias, 70, paid Gomez a straight $6.41 an hour — even over his weekly 40 hours.

From Jan. 2 to Jan. 15 of last year, the suit continues, Gomez worked 168 hours — with no overtime bump.

“[Iglesias] willfully and intentionally refused to pay [Gomez’s] overtime wages as required by the Fair Labor Standards Act,” the suit reads.

Iglesias eventually settled, but the settlement remains confidential. According to the filing, however, Gomez is no longer employed by Iglesias.

Neither lawyer involved agreed to comment.

Bieber update

Troubled pop star Justin Bieber has been ordered to pay the Aventura lawyer who represents a photographer suing the singer in Miami-Dade County.

Judge Sarah Zabel awarded $7,500 in legal fees to attorney Mark DiCowden because Bieber and his people let him sit and wait for the star for four days in Los Angeles in January.

DiCowden received another $4,000 from Bieber for his plane ticket, hotel and meals.

Bieber, 20, was to be deposed by DiCowden in the case brought by Miami Beach shutterbug Jeffery Binion, who asserts he was assaulted by bodyguards last June on Bieber’s order.

Bieber missed the court-mandated deposition on Jan. 23 — even if he had a good reason for not being there: He was in jail in Miami after being picked up on a DUI charge.

There was no sympathy from Zabel, who ordered the reimbursement.

Technically, Bieber bodyguard Hugo Hesny, a co-defendant in the lawsuit, is supposed to pay his share of the legal fees. He did show up for the depo but declined to talk.

A source close to the case says it’s likely that Bieber will absorb the entire $11,500.

Said Roy Black, one of Bieber’s Miami lawyers: “We agreed to pay a reasonable fee for [DiCowden’s] time in L.A. because Justin didn’t appear at the deposition. Justin was otherwise detained at the time.”

Smoking Heat

Ever heard of electronic hookahs?

Miami Heat star Chris Bosh has, and he was just pictured taking puffs from something called Starbuzz E-Hose on a yacht docked in Miami Beach.

It's a $179.99 electronic hookah that allows smokers to inhale vapors from flavored tobacco.

Dwyane Wade simply watched and didn’t seem to partake but cracked up when he saw Bosh sucking on a red tube.

Real-estate report

Singer Celine Dion has dropped the asking price for her property just north of Palm Beach by $10 million.

The singer of My Heart Will Go On and her manager/husband, Rene Angelil, reportedly saw very little traffic from potential buyers since they listed the Jupiter Island house for $72.5 million in September.

So, as the Canadian chanteuse’s second long-term Las Vegas stint extends to 2019, the couple is getting serious about unloading the crib and dropped the price to $62.5 million, according to the listing agent’s Canadian website.

The 10,000-square-foot house and its insane water park with a lazy river and slides were built on 51/2 acres of prime beachfront in 2010.

Free of charge: celebrity neighbors like golfers Tiger Woods and Greg Norman and Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti.

Read more Jose Lambiet stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category