MIAMI DOLPHINS

Miami Dolphins sign former Miami Hurricanes offensive lineman Jason Fox

 

The Dolphins continued to solidify their offensive line by signing former UM standout Jason Fox, who downplayed his past injury woes.

WEB VOTE How do you grade new Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey for his moves so far?

abeasley@miamiherald.com

Jason Fox started 47 games at the University of Miami.

But the offensive tackle also missed 51 of 64 games in four years with the Detroit Lions – including all of 2011 with a foot injury.

Now back in South Florida – signing a one-year, roughly $800,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday – Fox is out to prove his college durability is the real him.

“Obviously, that’s in the past,” Fox said, not long after agreeing to terms. “I had some back luck early in my career, [but] that’s over. I feel 100 percent healthy. I’m ready to compete.”

And he’s open to playing anywhere the Dolphins need him. Fox on Wednesday left open the door to playing guard, where the Dolphins still need at a starter.

He also plans to push for playing time at right tackle, his natural position.

“[Fox] brings passion, commitment to the game and toughness,” said Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey. “I think he’ll fit right in with our team.”

Hickey proved that with his quick actions. Yet again, he didn’t let a visiting player leave town without a contract. Only one of the free agents to meet with the team in Davie this offseason (D’Qwell Jackson) signed with another team.

At the very least, the Dolphins hope Fox improves their depth on the offensive line after letting three tackles walk in free agency: Bryant McKinnie, Tyson Clabo and Will Yeatman. The signing does not preclude the Dolphins drafting a right tackle early next month, however.

Fox, a native of Fort Worth, Texas, was four-star recruit out of high school and didn’t disappoint, earning all-conference honors with the Hurricanes in 2009.

“I consider this a second home to me,” Fox said.

A fourth-round draft pick, Fox’s pro career has been derailed by injuries, but he did appear in eight games with Detroit last season, starting three.

He allowed just one sack in 205 regular-season snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. However, his run-blocking needs improvement, the website found.

“I think I’m an athletic, smart, tough guy,” Fox said. “I think I can pick up the offense well. I’ll be able to run the zone [blocking scheme]. The things that they [will] ask me to do, I’ve done them in the past and I’ll be able to execute them here.”

•  The Dolphins agreed to terms with wide receiver Kevin Cone, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Cone played with the Falcons the first three years of his NFL careeer but had only one reception in 29 games played (no starts).

Cone tweeted: “Excited and blessed to be apart of the @MiamiDolphins.”

Miami Herald sportswriter Armando Salguero contributed to this report.

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category