Disgraced Guantánamo guard got medal for saving detainee from suicide

 

Miami Herald

A former Guantánamo guard being discharged instead of facing a sexual-assault trial did avert a detainee’s suicide around the time of last year’s prison camp raid that put hunger strikers under lockdown, the military confirmed.

Army Col. Greg Julian, a spokesman for Southern Command, could not identify the detainee who tried to kill himself. Nor could he pinpoint the exact date of the deed in April 2013 that won Sgt. Stevontae Lacefield, 24, his Joint Service Commendation Medal.

Separately, Julian said that Lacefield was leaving the Army with an “other than honorable” discharge and demotion to the lowest enlisted grade, rather than a general discharge, as a U.S. Army spokesman had earlier reported.

The Pentagon awards the medal to troops who distinguish themselves by meritorious achievement or service on an assignment sponsored by the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The Guantánamo prison mission qualifies because the 2,100-strong staff assigned to the detention center — that, as of Tuesday housed 154 war-on-terror captives — is a mix of members of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines as well as federally employed civilians.

Read more here

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Oil company worker from Malta is abducted in Libya

    Malta's foreign ministry says a Maltese man who works for an oil company in Libya has been kidnapped by rebels on the outskirts of Tripoli.

  •  
Michael Conlan of Northern Ireland, right, fights Matthew Martin from Nauru during their men's bantam weight (56kg) boxing bout at the Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014, in Glasgow, Scotland, Friday, July, 25, 2014.

    Rule change: Blood and bumps at Commonwealth Games

    It was the first bout of the boxing competition at the Commonwealth Games. Within minutes, Mathew Martin of Nauru had a large lump on his head from a punch. Northern Ireland's Michael Conlan, who won unanimously on points, had blood streaming down his face.

  • Top German court rejects suit on Eichmann files

    Germany's highest court has rejected a newspaper's suit against a ruling that the country's foreign intelligence service can keep parts of its files on Adolf Eichmann, known as the architect of the Holocaust, secret.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category