Military resolves a guard’s Guantánamo sex assault case with discharge

 

Miami Herald

A former Guantánamo prison camp guard is being permitted to quit the Army rather than face a sex-assault trial, the military said Friday.

Army Sgt. Stevontae Lacefield, 24, told The Miami Herald from Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio that on Monday the military notified him that all charges related to his case were dropped.

He had a trial set for April 7-10 before an Army major. But by Friday his case was removed from the Fort Sam Houston trial judiciary docket.

“What this means is, instead of going to trial and court martial he’s allowed to undergo separation from the military,” said Army Col. Hans Bush, spokesman for U.S. Army South in San Antonio.

In another case, 1st Sgt. Richard A. Smith goes on trial next week. He is accused of raping a sergeant in January 2013 as well as sexually assaulting two other women at the base several months later.

Read more here

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Smoke and flames rise from the Gaza power plant after it was hit by Israeli strikes, in the Nusseirat Refugee Camp, central Gaza Strip, Tuesday, July 29, 2014. Israel escalated its military campaign against Hamas on Tuesday, striking symbols of the group's control in Gaza and firing tank shells that shut down the strip's only power plant in the heaviest bombardment in the fighting so far. The plant’s shutdown was bound to lead to further serious disruptions of the flow of electricity and water to Gaza’s 1.7 million people.

    Hamas demands for cease-fire and Israel's concerns

    Hamas rulers have presented a list of demands to stop their fire on Israel in the Gaza war. Israel has said it doesn't want to reward Hamas for its rocket campaign, but has other reasons to oppose the demands — mostly based on security.

  • Nigerian militants bomb bridge, killing 8 people

    Witnesses say insurgents blew up a bridge in northern Nigeria, killing eight people, as soldiers stationed nearby fled for their lives.

  • Lavrov and Kerry talk about Cold war-era arms deal

    Russia's Foreign Ministry says the chief diplomats from Russia and the United States have discussed the situation in Ukraine and the fulfillment of a Cold War-era arms control deal that the U.S. has accused Russia of violating.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category