VOTING RIGHTS

Florida suspends non-citizen voter purge efforts

 

Previous efforts to purge the Florida voter rolls of noncitizens were highly controversial, as elections supervisors doubted the accuracy of the state’s data and groups said the removals targeted minority voters.

 
FILE--Secretary of State Ken Detzner addresses the county commission about voter re-precincting as Miami-Dade County Elections Supervisor Penelope Townsley, left, listens in this Feb. 19, 2014 file photo.
FILE--Secretary of State Ken Detzner addresses the county commission about voter re-precincting as Miami-Dade County Elections Supervisor Penelope Townsley, left, listens in this Feb. 19, 2014 file photo.
PATRICK FARRELL / MIAMI HERALD STAFF

Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau

Gov. Rick Scott’s chief elections official is suspending a politically charged election-year plan to purge noncitizens from Florida’s voter rolls, citing changes to a federal database used to verify citizenship.

The about-face on Thursday by Secretary of State Ken Detzner resolves a standoff with county elections supervisors, who resisted the purge and were suspicious of its timing. It also had given rise to Democratic charges of voter suppression aimed at minorities, including Hispanics crucial to Scott’s reelection hopes.

Detzner told supervisors in a memo that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is redesigning its SAVE database, and it won’t be finished until 2015, so purging efforts, known as Project Integrity, should not proceed.

“I have decided to postpone implementing Project Integrity until the federal SAVE program Phase Two is completed,” Detzner wrote.

Detzner sent his memo after three rounds of conference calls with supervisors, who endorsed his decision.

“It is a good idea to postpone the project until we’re sure we have it right,” said Citrus County Supervisor Susan Gill. “The closer it gets to the election, which I know you’re well aware of, the more likely it is that we’ll get a lot of criticism.”

“We always felt and understood our statutory obligation is to remove ineligible voters from the rolls and will continue to do so,” said Christina White, a spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade elections office. “We always wanted it to be a more credible and reliable list. That’s what we have been waiting for. Now that they said they will delay it, we will pick it up when they decide to finish the list.”

Broward’s elections supervisor, Brenda Snipes, said time also was a factor, with absentee ballots for the fall election going out in July.

“That would kind of distract everybody,” Snipes said.

Past efforts to purge the voter rolls of noncitizens ahead of the 2012 election created a national furor, as elections supervisors resented targeting voters with data they viewed as unreliable and political groups said the removals disproportionately targeted minority voters. Some groups accused the Scott administration of seeking to scrub the voter file of people who might not be inclined to support Republican candidates.

The 2012 list of about 180,000 suspect voters was based on driver’s license data. The state soon whittled it to 2,600 and then to 198. Ultimately, about 85 voters were removed from the rolls.

“It was irresponsible for Gov. Scott to undermine faith in our elections by creating fear that our voter rolls were filled with illegitimate voters when there was no evidence to suggest it,” said Howard Simon, director of the ACLU of Florida.

Voting rights groups such as the NAACP, League of Women Voters and the Advancement Project had been critics of the purge. They did not argue in favor of noncitizens casting ballots, but said that the state-led purge disproportionately targeted minorities, ensnared some who could legally vote, such as a Brooklyn-born World War II veteran in Broward, wasted money and was ineffective.

“What we have seen from past efforts is that it has not been successful in identifying ineligible voters,” said Deirdre Macnab, president of the Florida League of Voters. “The process we already have in place — supervisors work every day, all day, to clean our lists and keep them up to date — shows the current process is working very effectively.”

Detzner reminded election supervisors that they have a duty to investigate cases of questionable citizenship by voters.

That’s nothing new, said Deborah Clark, the Pinellas supervisor. She said supervisors closely monitor voter lists to ensure that no ineligible voters can cast ballots and must submit reports to the state twice a year explaining why voters are removed from the rolls, such as death or a felony conviction.

Contact Steve Bousquet at bousquet@tampabay.com. Amy Sherman can be reached at asherman@MiamiHerald.com

Read more Political Currents stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category