MIAMI DOLPHINS

Miami Dolphins to meet with free agent RB Knowshon Moreno

 
 
Knowshon Moreno ran for a career-high 1,038 yards and 10 touchdowns last season with Denver, averaging 4.3 yards per carry.
Knowshon Moreno ran for a career-high 1,038 yards and 10 touchdowns last season with Denver, averaging 4.3 yards per carry.
NFL Photos / NFL

abeasley@MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins, quiet the last week in free agency, are about to make some noise.

They are set to host Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno for a free-agent visit, according to a league source. Moreno is expected to meet with the team on Friday.

Moreno rushed for a career-high 1,038 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2013, averaging 4.3 yards per carry. He also had 60 catches for 548 yards and three scores and was a starter in Super Bowl 48.

Moreno, 26, recently finished his fifth pro season out of Georgia. Although he’s never lived up to hype that came with being the 12th overall pick in 2009, Moreno would be an apparent upgrade at the running back position for the Dolphins.

Lamar Miller, the team’s lead back in 2013, never really could find his footing in his second year. Miller rushed for 709 yards and 2 touchdowns, averaging four yards per carry.

“Coming into this job, one of my core beliefs is bringing in competitive environments,” Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey said on SiriusXM’s NFL Radio Thursday night. “...When you think you have depth, be careful, because you don’t.”

Moreno, who tore his ACL in 2011 but appears to have made a full recovery, appeared in all 16 games for the Broncos in 2013. He helped Denver score the most points (606) in NFL history.

And yet, Moreno hasn’t exactly been a hot commodity through the first two weeks of free agency.

Running backs, by and large, no longer get monster second contracts because teams think they can go younger and cheaper in the draft.

The Dolphins, however, might have no choice but to spend. They need to upgrade after ranking 26th in rush offense in 2013 (averaging 90 yards per game).

As for Hickey, he touched on a wide range of issues in his Thursday night radio appearance.

He was asked specifically about the Dolphins’ decision to give cornerback Cortland Finnegan a two-year, $11 million contract after consecutive sub-par years.

“When you watch the tape and break it down, there’s all kinds of different factors that go [into it],” Hickey said, when asked about Finnegan’s recent struggles. “We felt good about it when he came in for a visit. We thought he would continue to be a good player.

Hickey added: “That wasn’t necessarily indicative of the player we were going to get.”

Meanwhile, offensive lineman Richie Incognito, fresh out of a mental health facility, told WSVN-7 Wednesday that he wants to return to the Dolphins — which by all indications isn’t going to happen.

Hickey declined comment on the matter, as it is team policy not comment on players not on their roster.

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin in the fourth quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.

    IN MY OPINION

    Armando Salguero: Joe Philbin optimistic about Miami Dolphins despite skeptics

    Joe Philbin welcomes a visitor with a warm smile and firm handshake and for the next 30 minutes enthusiastically talks about his Dolphins with a confidence that belies the coach’s first two seasons in Miami.

  •  
St. Louis Rams seventh-round draft pick Michael Sam listens to a question during a news conference at the NFL football team's practice facility Tuesday, May 13, 2014, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

    IN MY OPINION

    Greg Cote: Michael Sam is a distraction to embrace, not avoid

    It’s no surprise that Tony Dungy’s comments this week about Michael Sam — comments that on the surface seemed more benign than inflammatory — have created such a national tempest. Sports are a Petri dish for argument and debate under any circumstances, and when you add the politics of religion and gay issues to the mix, the chances of a quietly civil discussion have pretty much left the building.

  •  
<span class="cutline_leadin">building block:</span> Left tackle Branden Albert, above, 

will be the team’s replacement for Jonathan Martin.

    Miami Dolphins’ offensive line is new; time will tell if it’s improved

    The Dolphins’ offensive line, which allowed 58 sacks last season, will have four new starters – and center Mike Pouncey could be out until October. ‘We’ve got a lot of work,’ new left tackle Branden Albert said.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category