Woods pulls out of Bay Hill, citing back

 

The Sports Network

(SportsNetwork.com) - Tiger Woods announced Tuesday he will not be able defend his title at this week's Arnold Palmer Invitational because of back spasms and said it was too early to know if he'd be ready for the Masters next month.

Woods withdrew during the final round of the Honda Classic three weeks ago due to the issue in his back and was scheduled to return to action Thursday at Bay Hill at a tournament he has won eight times.

But the reigning PGA Tour Player of the Year said on his website the spasms and pain in his back haven't subsided.

"I personally called Arnold today to tell him that, sadly, I won't be able to play in his tournament this year," Woods said. "I would like to express my regrets to the Orlando fans, the volunteers, the tournament staff and the sponsors for having to miss the event."

Woods said his status for Augusta is up in the air.

"It's too early to know about the Masters, and I will continue to be evaluated and work closely with my doctors," he said. "I feel badly that I won't be able to play in this great tournament this week."

Woods has made just four starts worldwide during this current season and has not finished better than a tie for 25th place at the WGC-Cadillac Championship two weeks ago.

He failed to make the secondary cut at the Farmers Insurance Open and tied for 41st at the Dubai Desert Classic, a European Tour event, before withdrawing from the Honda Classic.

The Masters will take place from April 10-13.

Woods captured his second straight Bay Hill title last year, becoming only the second player to win the same event eight times after Sam Snead, who won eight Greater Greensboro Open titles.

Read more Breaking News stories from the Miami Herald

  • tamiami trail

    2 dead in head-on crash west of Miccosukee casino

    A head-on collision on Tamiami Trail early Monday morning about 11 miles west of the Miccosukee gaming facility and hotel was so violent, police were still trying to put the pieces together hours later.

  •  
This June 25, 2014, file photo shows a group of  immigrants from Honduras and El Salvador who crossed the U.S.-Mexico border illegally are stopped in Granjeno, Texas. Even as they grapple with an immigration crisis at the border, White House officials are making plans to act before November’s mid-term elections to grant work permits to potentially millions of immigrants in this country illegally, allowing them to stay in the United States without threat of deportation, according to advocates and lawmakers in touch with the administration.

    White House: No plan to house Texas border kids at Guantánamo

    The Obama administration has no plans to use its pop-up tent city for Caribbean migrants at Guantánamo to help ameliorate the Texas border crisis of unaccompanied children crossing the border from Central America.

  •  
FILE - In this Friday, July 25, 2014, file photo, U.S. President Barack Obama speaks to the media, while meeting with El Salvador's President Salvador Sanchez Ceren, Guatemala's President Otto Perez Molina, and Honduran President Juan Hernandez, to discuss Central American immigration and the border crisis in the Cabinet Room  in Washington.  Even as they grapple with an immigration crisis at the border, White House officials are making plans to act before November’s mid-term elections to grant work permits to potentially millions of immigrants in the United States, illegally, allowing them to stay in the country without threat of deportation, according to advocates and lawmakers in touch with the administration.

    Obama mulls large-scale move on immigration

    Even as they grapple with an immigration crisis at the border, White House officials are making plans to act before November's mid-term elections to grant work permits to potentially millions of immigrants who are in this country illegally, allowing them to stay in the United States without threat of deportation, according to advocates and lawmakers in touch with the administration.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category